My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jon Isaacs

July 17, 2003 12:03 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Further Shipping Info???

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Whats the latest word on the location of the 1026 scopes? Anybody know anything??

jon

August 1, 2003 03:50 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Any News?

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Anybody have any news about the progress of the 1026's across the ocean to Tennessee???

Just day dreaming.....

jon

August 13, 2003 01:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Ignored By Seller

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Sal wrote>>>I have attempted to contact a veteran Amart seller in good standing twice over a period of about 24hrs, only to be completely ignored. Well now it appears he has pulled his ad from Amart (is that possible?)

It really ticks me off when someone doesn't have the common courtesy to reply to a response to an ad he places in a public forum. It wouldn't have to be a long reply, but the inquirer shouldn't be ignored.

I am itching to give this guy a dissatisfactory rating. What would you do?
---------------

So now that Mr. Glenn Perlow has indeed let us know what is apparently the other side of the story, I hope you have learned something about yourself.

As for giving someone a bad rating because they did not respond, my, my, my......

As far as the Glenn Perlow goes, I have corresponded with him a time or two, yeah, he's the real thing, a typical Astromart reputatble guy who doesn't play games.

I think you owe him an apology, but in either case, mostly I hope you have learned a lesson here and can avoid putting yourself and others through this again.

jon

August 18, 2003 07:58 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Scopes Out of Customs???

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Little bird told me that the scopes had cleared customs. Anybody else hear a little bird mention anything?

jon

August 23, 2003 11:10 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: MY User Ratings...A rebutle to Brain Roth

Posted By Jon Isaacs

I have no idea what is going on here between you two and this is obviously the wrong forum for discussing this issue.

However your obviously angry post does more damage to you than anyone else might do. The "forwarded: John E. Virga, A professional law Corporation" is a particularly poor touch.

You are worried about others and what they might do to your user rating. From my perspective you have just shot yourself in the foot with this one.

Personally I am not concerned about my own ratings on Astromart. Rather I just want to make sure that everyone I deal with is comfortable and happy with the deal and how it turned out. For me it is not about the money, rather it is simply about getting a reasonable return and having a pleasurable exchange with another Astronut. I might add that I normally include shipping in the cost of anything I sell and pay the insurance out of my own pocket.

YYMV

jon isaacs

August 25, 2003 12:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Pros/cons of long focus scopes?

Posted By Jon Isaacs

I think size is the critical issue here, length of the OTA, a 100 inch OTA is a big turkey to handle, it will be a definite ladder scope. A short focal length scope can provide great planetary views, I believe Todd Gross rates a 14 inch class DOB as the best planetary scope he has used.

I think the issue here is trading off portability/useability for less coma. For $300 a coma correcter and a fast scope will be a lot easier to handle and less expensive as well.

jon

September 16, 2003 08:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Opinions on Orion DeepView's

Posted By Jon Isaacs

I haven't tried one but I think they only have 3 elements. My guess is that one would be better of with a BW-Optik 30mm 80 degree from Herb here for $95 or the close out on the www.apogeeinc.com widescans at $70.

jon

September 27, 2003 02:42 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: Refractor Fantasy

Posted By Jon Isaacs

>>>But it also has to be believable, and I think he perhaps let his "suppliers" pull the wool over his eyes, and by transitivity, over the eyes of all those whose deposits have been sitting God knows where for many, many, many months.

8 months is not "many, many, many months." Many, many, many months is years and years. This is just several months.

The problem here is we all wanted to pay $200 for a $400+ scope. Now when it is taking longer than expected, we are frustated disappointed. These scopes will arrive at our door steps in the next few months.

If you are done waiting, I suggest just selling your space on Astromart and buying an Orion 100F6 or an Orion 120,, F8.3 These are good scopes, though of course they cost about $50 more that the Burgess Optic scopes, do not have a 2 inch diagonal, no 2 speed focuser, no 50mm finder, no tube rings in the case of the larger scope.

But still a decent scope.

jon

October 3, 2003 04:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Newtonian Astigmatism

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Several months ago I purchased a Star Hunter 10 (OPT) via astromart that had rather severe astigmatism. This is essentially the same scope as the Hardin Deep Space Hunter.

The problem was that the secondary was "pinched" and when this was relieved the optics turned out to be very good. I have heard that this is not uncommon with these scopes.

The secondary mirror slips into the plastic holder and there is a cylinder of foam that provides a spring action to hold the mirror in place. What had apparently happened with my secondary was first assembled, some of the foam had gotten of the foam had gotten out of its hole and was trapped behind the mirror, distorting the secondary length wise and causing astigmatism.

All that was necessary was to remove the secondary from its holder and reinstall it correctly.

I would suggest this as a first try as it is quite easy to do and apparently is somewhat common.

jon

October 13, 2003 07:02 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: latest update on the 1278

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Can you post the text of the message for those of us who are not Yahoo Savvy?

I would appreciate it...

jon