New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Clifford Chiesa

June 23, 2008 06:30 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

HELP! Trouble listing a classified

Posted By Clifford Chiesa

Hello all.
Trying to place my first refractor classified and am coming up clueless. There does not seem to be any way that is obvious to me. I am a member, but do I need to be a sponsor? Any help will most definately be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cliff

November 27, 2006 03:46 PM Forum: TeleVue

Best eyepieces for Pronto.

Paul,
I have had a Pronto for 9 years and despite the larger and better color corrected scope that I own, I will never let this one get away. This little scope got me back into astronomy. My most used eyepieces with this scope were the 20mm TeleVue Plossl for low power(24x) and the 4.8mm Nagler (100x). I rarely pushed this little scope past 100 power. The newer 5mm Nagler has a much wider eyelense for easier viewing. With the wide field of view it makes a great eyepiece to use at a star party. Additionally to frame the Moon in it's entirety I use an 11mm Plossl, a 32mm 1.25" Plossl for the widest posible field of view with the Pronto's 1.25" diagonal, and alternately 7-8mm Plossls, Orthos and Naglers. I have not had any luck with Kellners on the Pronto due to the short focal length.
Enjoy that Pronto!
Cliff

July 5, 2007 02:44 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

If your gonna have a dilema....

Michael,
Money provided, you MUST buy them both. An AP scope is one of the best ivestments you can make. When I think of the stuff I was collecting in the late 80s and early 90s, should have been purchasing AP refractors. Of course I probably would not be able to sell any of them now-that's the dilema. Another potential dilema is that you may need to buy a lighter weight mount, like the GM-8 for the 130 to keep it a portable system. The mount needed for the 140 will need to be heftier.
Buy the wife flowers. take her to dinner, then dacing. Tell her she is simply the best thing currently in this universe and... Go For It!

October 31, 2008 01:45 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Telescope safety in a Dome

Robert,
You might want to put some large bath towels over the scopes or their canvas bags. Then when you use the scope or when they get damp just throw them in the dryer. Also, marine supply stores used to sell moisture absorbing canisters for boat cabins. They help to keep mold away due to excess moisture. I believe they were called Damp-Away or some such thing.
Cliff

January 28, 2009 06:51 PM Forum: Politics

The Limbaugh Petition

What Bunk!
During the Bush years it was common place to not only bash the president but to hope for his failure on a daily basis. Two of my co-workers would regularly plot his assasination while other adorned their bumpers with decals proclaiming that "Dissent is Patriotic". Now I ask, did something magically change on innaguration day to make not agreeing with the president a non-patriotic act. Must we now be obliged to pledge allegiance not to our flag but to Barrack Obama himself, the way Demi Moore and Anton have? Rush does not want to see radical changes made to the character of this country via Democratic Party legislation. I also find it disgusting how every conservative politician or spokeseman that is intervieved by the media has the following question imposed upon them – “You don’t want the president to fail do You?” They did not seem to be asking this question of Democats and Liberals when they began questioning and challenging the President only days after 9-11. What is it with this blindsided stupidity!

April 26, 2012 04:47 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

New AP 175!!!

I'll be bringing some Kleenex to NEAF on Saturday. sad

July 12, 2012 01:11 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

15 Eerie Abandoned Observatories

Thanks for the link. That small observatory in "Bellport" has got myself and everyone else in the office intigued. I work in Bellport and about half of the staff have lived here all of their lives. It has them stumped. My co-worker and I believe that it may actually be in the Rocky Point through Middle Island area about 5-10 miles from Bellport. Seems there was an association with the Vanderbilt Planetarium, Grumman, and what we believe is/was the Brookhaven Employee Recreational Association. The website of a cyclist/jogger states that the propert lies within "the Camp". Could this be Camp Upton?
If anyone knows the location of this observatory and it's history we would greatly appreciate hearing from you. An abandoned observatory right in my own back yard... facinating!

March 21, 2014 02:53 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

NGC3582 in Hubble Palette

Those prominence like features look like they are making a garden archway or arbor.
So how about the Archway Nebula or Arbor Nebula?