New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dave Bentz

March 12, 2005 03:00 PM Forum: Reflectors

Meade Starfinder Manual

Posted By Dave Bentz

Greetings all,

I just purchased a used Meade 6" Starfinder. There are no model number markings, but it is a 6" scope mounted on an equatorial pier mount. The drive does not have the option for the Magellan feature. At any rate, I am trying to find a copy of a manual for it. I called Meade, and they did not have anything available. Anyone have an electronic copy or something that could be sent/copied/or mailed?

Thanks!

March 12, 2005 03:08 PM Forum: Reflectors

Meade/Discovery Optics & EQ mount

Posted By Dave Bentz

I just purchased a used 6" Starfinder on a pier EQ mount. The purchase was made primarily for the mount. I already have a 6" Discovery dob that was purchased about 5 years ago. Not sure of the age of the Meade Starfinder, but I am sure it is at least 5 years old. Any idea which scope has the better optics? The Discovery seems to be overall better made, FAR BETTER focuser, etc.

Also, the mount has straps rather than rings. The tube tends to want to slide in the felt-lined straps. (I haven't tried the Discovery in the mount yet, but that is my leaning.) Recommendations on how to stop the sliding? If I make a switch to ring and a dovetail plate, what will I need to do to change the curved mount that is already fitted for a tube? I need to try to find 1. the cheapest solution, and 2. a simple solution.

Thanks!

March 13, 2005 03:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Starfinder Manual

Posted By Dave Bentz

Greetings all,

Posted this initially under "reflectors," but realized it probably belongs here and is more likely to get a response.

I just purchased a used Meade 6" Starfinder. There are no model number markings, but it is a 6" scope mounted on an equatorial pier mount. The drive does not have the option for the Magellan feature. At any rate, I am trying to find a copy of a manual for it. I called Meade, and they did not have anything available. Anyone have an electronic copy or something that could be sent/copied/or mailed?

Thanks!

March 13, 2005 03:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade/Discovery Optics - Help with straps/rings

Posted By Dave Bentz

I just purchased a used 6" Starfinder on a pier EQ mount. The purchase was made primarily for the mount. I already have a 6" Discovery dob that was purchased about 5 years ago. Not sure of the age of the Meade Starfinder, but I am sure it is at least 5 years old. Any idea which scope has the better optics? The Discovery seems to be overall better made, FAR BETTER focuser, etc. However, I've heard that the Meade mirrors are fine.

Also, the mount has straps rather than rings. The tube tends to want to slide in the felt-lined straps. (I haven't tried the Discovery in the mount yet, but that is my leaning.) Recommendations on how to stop the sliding? If I make a switch to ring and a dovetail plate, what will I need to do to change the curved mount that is already fitted for a tube? I need to try to find 1. the cheapest solution, and 2. a simple solution.

Thanks!

March 23, 2005 02:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help Please-Tube Ring Question

Posted By Dave Bentz

I have a Meade Starfinder EQ mount with the felt-lined straps. I've never used rings, but I would guess that they would be a MUCH better option than the straps, since the 6" tube tends to want to slide.

What would be the best way to add rings? The plate is curved to match the tube. Should I simply drill through the plate and bolt the rings through the plate?

Thanks,

Dave

March 25, 2005 03:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Starfinder pier mt capacity

Posted By Dave Bentz

I recently purchased a 6" Meade Starfinder with the EQ pier mount. Is this the same size mount that is used on the 8"? Also, will an 8" tube lay in the plate? (I know that I might need to modify the straps to hold an 8" tube. Ultimately, my question is, "How much scope can I put on this mount?"

April 15, 2005 06:25 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Orion Stratus

Posted By Dave Bentz

Anyone have any experience or seen any reviews on these yet? I'm contemplating what to pursue for my astigmatism laden eyes, and thought these new eyepieces might fit into the mix. Also, can someone remind me how to calculate actual field of view. I'm using a 6" f/8 (focal length 1200mm). Thanks.

June 10, 2005 09:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help! - Replacing 2" focuser with a 1-1/4

Posted By Dave Bentz

A little help, please!

I just purchased an 8" Meade Starfinder with a 2" focuser. Since I've just purchased a bunch of 1-1/4 EPs with longer eye relief, I simply don't anticipate using 2" eyepieces anytime soon. I also have a nice Parks focuser of superior quality that I would prefer to use. Is there a good way to plug the hole for the larger focuser and then redrill for the 1-1/4?

Thanks!

Dave

June 10, 2005 09:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade AC vss DC drives

Posted By Dave Bentz

Happy to hear input on this one.

I had purchased a 6" Meade Starfinder with the old pier mount and AC drive. Just stumbled across (and purchased) an 8" Meade Starfinder with the DC drive, and optional ports for the Magellan I system as well as an outlet to tie to as 12v battery. While I'm not excited about the thought of changing batteries OR lugging around a 12v battery, I am leaning toward keeping this mount because of the opportunities that it provides for tracking in remote locations. Also, since my home site is not in an observatory, I don't have to worry with electrical cords, and I assume I will get a fair number of hours out of the battery. Has anyone found that one of these drives is really superior to the other. Guess I need to test the tracking side-by-side as well as I can. Input and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

June 19, 2005 01:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Poor Man's Parralax Rings

Posted By Dave Bentz

Hey all,

Thought I would share a solution to the infamous problem of the straps on the old Meade Starfinders. Admittedly, I have not had the privilege of using nice rings, but this solution has worked well for me.

The stainless ring in the picture is tightened securely around the tube. The black Meade straps are reasonably secure, but loose enough to allow rotation of the tube with 2 hands to get the eyepiece and focuser into place. The tube is prohibited from slipping back out of its balance point simply by the presence of the stainless ring. Also, the head of the bolt is welded to the tab, so that it will not slip or fall out.

Just moved up to an 8" OTA. I've asked my engineer/machine shop friend to fabricate another ring. I'm thinking about asking him to weld a couple of knurled thumb nuts to the side that could be used either to screw in bearings in case I want to use the OTA on a dob base.