Posts Made By: Steven Jindra

May 3, 2005 08:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror shipping and packing

Posted By Steven Jindra

Floyd

I just hope some UPS or FedEx Gorilla doesn't see your post and consider it a personal challenge to test out your packaging.

Truthfully, it looks like the way to go. I recently sold an FS-102 OTA and will be taking a similar approach to packing and shipping.

Thanks
Steven Jindra

May 4, 2005 05:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Naglers, telescopes, and selling

Posted By Steven Jindra

Chris
I'm sorry to hear about the finance situation.

My experience is that you will do better to sell the items separately. That way you are appealing to a wider market. Most guys wanting a 18" Obsession already have another scope and eyepieces. A lot of guys want a Nagler to add to their eyepieces, but can't afford the whole package.

Hope this helps.
Steven Jindra

May 14, 2005 06:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mount questions

Posted By Steven Jindra

Jeff
My opinion: For just visual use only, the fork mounts are fine, especially those that can be used in alt-az mode such as an LX200. If you plan to do deep sky imaging, then get a quality GEM (G11, CI700, CGE, etc.). The nice thing about a quality GEM is that you can upgrade OTA's easily and the mount stays the same.

Hope this helps.
Steven Jindra

June 24, 2005 07:59 PM Forum: Takahashi

I finally did it.

Posted By Steven Jindra

Ron
No central obstruction as with the C5.
Far less false color of the A1010.
More aperture than the 63/840.
Crisper, more detailed views.
Steven Jindra

July 25, 2005 05:15 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M20 Trifid Nebula

Posted By Steven Jindra

Jim
That is a great image. Tell us a little more about your camera. I'll have to look up more info.
Thanks for sharing.
Steven Jindra

August 5, 2005 03:52 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC6946 and SN2004ET

Posted By Steven Jindra

Jim

I just started a series of images of NGC6946 about 5 minutes ago and thought I'd come in and search out a few pictures on the Web while I'm waiting and there is your's.

It's a nice shot.

What was the timing and processing of your sequence of color images? Are you in a darker site or fighting light pollution as well. I just recently purchased an SBIG CFW-8a and am still getting used to it.

Thanks for posting it.

Steven Jindra

August 17, 2005 02:31 AM Forum: Refractors

Takahashi sky 90 focuser

Posted By Steven Jindra

Mario

I'm not sure just how helpful this is, but for my FS78 focuser the Borg adapter that matches the rear threads is called M56, so I am assuming it is a metric 56mm. You may check the Borg (Hutech) site under part #7911 to see if there is more information on the exact threads.

Borg part numbers 7911 and 7502, when combined, get you from the rear threads of an FS78 (and I believe the FS90 too) to a male 2" SCT threads for using SCT adaptors.

Another source of help may be Art at Land Sea and Sky - Texas Nautical Repair, the US Takahashi importer.

Hope this may help you find the info you need.

Steven Jindra

August 23, 2005 04:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

H-alpha view of Pelican Nebula -- wide and narrow

Posted By Steven Jindra

Tom
The widefield is a great image. Was that with the AP155EDF at F7 or was there a reducer? What mount and guiding arrangement do you have?
Thanks again.
Steven Jindra

November 10, 2005 07:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What focal reducer is this?

Posted By Steven Jindra

Chris
I have one that came as part of a Celestron assembly with an SCT to T thread adaptor in front and a prism diagonal behind to provide a .5 focal reduction at the eyepiece. I have used it in front of a low light video camera (with 1/3" CCD) and was getting about a .5 reduction.

I hope this helps.
Steven Jindra

November 29, 2005 10:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

I got my $ back on the RCX, so now what do I buy?

Posted By Steven Jindra

Luke

A lot of good suggestions so far. I particularly liked Roland's explanation on the significance of the FWHM of a star image.

You may have already done this, but I would recommend doing a search of the AstroMart Forums for "20D" and comparable cameras, then view the images presented and notice the mount, OTA, focal reducers, and filters used. This will give you an idea of what to expect with various setups.

I would recommend allowing some cash for MaximDL/CCD or comparable quality software for image acquisition, auto guiding, and processing.

On a budget, it's easier if you start with a quality mount even if it means getting a smaller OTA (3" or 4" APO). The G-11 and FS-102 doesn't sound like a bad setup.

Let us know what you decide.
Thanks
Steven Jindra