My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Andrew Riehl

May 5, 2003 10:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen Polar Illuminator on CG-5

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I don't know, but personally I think the thing's a piece of junk--where the aluminum 'pen' screws into the plastic ring, the threads are really light and will eventually strip out. If you can find one of the internal illuminators from a gp-dx, now that thing is awesome. wouldn't look too pretty on a cg-5 though. I always used a small flashlight and it was a lot simpler than messing around trying to get that penlight illuminator to stay together.

May 6, 2003 12:13 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: GIF files - question for HERB

Posted By Andrew Riehl

2 points to Herb on that one !!! LOL.

May 6, 2003 11:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NGC4490/85 with ST-237

Posted By Andrew Riehl

those tiny little borgs are something, aren't they? I used to have a 50mm f/10 ED one that I used for h-alpha solar viewing. I had to sell it to finance some other toys I use more, but playing around visually, I was amazed at what a high quality 2" scope could pick up...

May 8, 2003 01:24 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lights for lightbox

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I planned mine out almost entirely at the craft shop--it was in january, so they had lots of xmas lights lying around dirt cheap--I found a small set that was designed to wrap around a wreath; the light strand was the perfect length to wrap around the inside of my lightbox, and was powered by 2 'c' batteries. My suggestion is roam around those craft shop/hardware stor type places and the answers seem to appear where you least expect them.

May 8, 2003 10:57 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

11th hour....the final question.

Posted By Andrew Riehl

neither--being the cowboy that I am I always have another way to stop physical attacks on others without putting my own body in direct danger... Yeeeeehaaaawwww!

May 8, 2003 10:59 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Graeme & Andrew -re: Chromacor

Posted By Andrew Riehl

yes, the chromacor was basically designed for your synta 6". Just be sure to do get a very good estimate of your spherical correction; there are several different models depending on if your scope is over/under corrected, etc. Best of luck my friend...

May 9, 2003 10:53 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Ronchi :-) question..... (pun)

Posted By Andrew Riehl

do you have anything distant to use as an 'artificial' star? I normally just use an artificial star for collimation purposes, but for doing a good analysis of optics, the 'star' must be very distant; focusing on targets not in the 'infinity' range can introduce false spherical correction results. Shouldn't make that much of a difference on your refractor, but SCT's and maks for example have horrendous consequences in using a close artificial star for testing.

May 10, 2003 11:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

"Do Not Call" listing finally progressing.

Posted By Andrew Riehl

we've had this setup in PA for a good long while now. No call list works great...some folks have disregarded it, and are paying the fines. Good stuff it is...

May 11, 2003 04:43 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Gun control survey...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

How many gun laws were violated in the columbine incident? probably about a dozen or so I would guess. Just goes to show that laws don't effect people that break the law.

May 11, 2003 04:53 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Big Game hunting...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Here's one--when I was a kid I used to sit on my back deck with my CO2 semi-auto bb pistol and shoot bumbelbees out of the air. It usually took me a few shots (following the previous bb with my eyes and adjusting the next shot accordingly), but I had endless hours of something to do that way. If done today, PETA would lock me up...