John Love

NGC7293 Helix Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: deleted4538 deleted4538

May 22, 2003 11:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is it just me or is Al sucking us dry($)....

Posted By deleted4538 deleted4538

I agree with Bill B.
You can put a lot of money down and then hope for the best. With TeleVue, you know what's coming your way. Just the pleasure to see such a well-crafted, precision piece of equipment is an incredible pleasure that is remarkably consistent. Not many products that have the beauty of these items. On the cloudy nights, you can just stare at your scope and admire the finish of the thing. I'm sure that Al understands the importance that quality plays in the success of this wonderful line of products.
-Curtis
--
--
--
--

July 7, 2003 07:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

TeleVue Nagler Zoom 3-6mm/Pro or Con?

Eric,
I have the 3-6 zoom and find it a very handy piece of equipment. The field is kind of narrow, but you would not use if for extended objects anyway.
Some people get frustrated with them, some people love them, some people sell them and re-buy them months later.....
I like mine in my TV85 and Pronto. I've had little time with my Portaball, but should get a chance this summer vacation.
Try it. They come up on Astromart every now and then for around $300. If you decide you don't like it, they sell very quickly!
Clear Skies,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--

July 7, 2003 11:09 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Fast Refractor

Stuart,
I've been using a recent model of Lomo binoviewers in both a Pronto and a TV85 and have had a really wonderful time with lunar and planetary viewing. I've become very interested in lunar viewing completely due to the views through the Lomos!
There is a trick with the balance, but well worth the trouble for the type of viewing that opens up when you're using both eyes. I've been simply amazed! Recently picked up a pair of standard Denks that should be delivered later this week! I've only used my Lomos in the TV refractors and have had a terrific time. Is that enough of an endorsement?
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

July 27, 2003 08:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telepod Head/Bogen Tripod

Don,
I use a Bogen 3046. This is a VERY popular combination for the 85 (which I also use-great scope!). I haven't owned a Telepod tripod, but have heard that it isn't nearly as solid as the 3046. I have a friend who uses the 3036? I think and is very happy with it as well.
It's definitely a step up in stability.
-Curtis

--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

July 30, 2003 05:52 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denkmeir and Tv 76

Colin,
The advise to talk to Russ is right. A very good guy, very helpful. I just got a Denk Deep Sky and have used it just a bit in my TV85.

Regarding your question-if I understand it correctly-it's a "light/fov issue". You can use the 1.25 or 2" OCS. For the 76, you'll need a part T and part S with the 1.25" setup (along with the part O).

If you go 2", you'll need a part SR along with the part O. Russ will set you straight on it. I was out last night with it and was pleased with it, need to get it to a darker sky site so I can see what this li'l puppy can really do....
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

September 13, 2003 11:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Time for Another Dumb Question.....

Bruce,
As I live in NYC, I know about your light pollution/gray skies issues...What I would recommend that hasn't been mentioned is that you buy a pair of binoculars and a Mag5 or Mag 6 star chart. Bring it along with you whenever you view. It's true that you can get disoriented when looking through an optical finder, but not once you know a larger number of stars in the sky. I never view without my binoculars and it's paying off. It's also very helpful to have an optical finder on your scope-red dot/unity finders are a limited pointing device when there are so few bright stars to guide you.
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
-

October 21, 2003 09:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

M31 with a 10D

Rick,
That is PHENOMENAL!! Can't believe that's with a digital camera-granted an absolutely fabulous digital-but still....
Appreciate the sharing of this image! Fantastic!
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--

October 21, 2003 09:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

M31 with a 10D

Rick,
Riding the subway to school this mornign I was looking at my November issue of Astronomy. The article that caught my eye was the "Order Out of Chaos". A big beautiful shot of M31. But, honestly, as good as it is, yours seems better. Take a look.
Fine job,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

December 14, 2003 09:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Needed: Very small scope for city viewing

Luca,
No one has mentioned the TeleVue Ranger but you might want to consider that. They do come up on Astromart from time to time. And if you add a light Bogen tripod, you've got a nice grab and go with excellent optics. This is not to take away from the ETX90, just to give you another option. I had a Ranger-that lead to a Pronto-that lead to a TV85...
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
-

December 14, 2003 09:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Needed: Very small scope for city viewing

In fact, there's a nice 3221 on Astromart right now!
Check it out!
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--