New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: deleted4538 deleted4538

December 31, 2003 12:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Next accessory?

Posted By deleted4538 deleted4538

Nicholas,
You didn't mention where you're observing from.
I know that when I went from a 6x30 to a 9x50 finder in my light polluted Manhattan, it was SUCH an improvement!
I think a 9x50, the 30 Ultima.......maybe a Rigel Quickfinder (smaller footprint, less weight, less balance problem)
Sounds good to me,
-Curtis
--
---
-
-

March 7, 2004 04:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: "Ne Plus Ultra"

Bob,
Your remarks on this are:

So true.
So sad.
So funny.

Now, to get back to reading the Astro-ads...
-Curtis
-
-
-
-

April 2, 2004 09:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mag 1 portaballs

Mark,
I have the 10" f/5. I found it here on Astromart through a "Wanted" listing. I was very lucky. They don't come up too often and buying them new from Peter Smitka requires a substantial wait. I still feel like a newbie with the scope even though I've had it for 17 months. I don't get out to dark skies very often. I do my viewing from my roof in NYC and the planetary and lunar views are remarkable! They're a very elegantly designed scope. But Peter builds them for visual observing. So if you think you might get into astrophotography, you should consider another scope. If it's visual you're after, then you really need to look through one of these! Good luck. -Curtis

May 5, 2004 12:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

wide field ep for a 12.5" f/4.7

Andre,
I can't think of a better option than the TeleVue 24 Panoptic. I use it in my Portaball (10" f/5) and it performs extremely well! Very crisp, good definition, and contrast. Edge is pretty good in the f/5. Nothing better that I could recommend, except maybe two of these in a binoviewer (and I know what THAT looks like too!).
Good luck,
-Curtis

May 16, 2004 03:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Are Televue "package" components worth it ?

Dave,
The mounting ring (clamshell) is around $100 - and very nice.

The Everbrite diagonal is around $250-$275 and a premium piece.

The 20 Plossl is a really nice general use ep-a top of the plossl design.$95

I don't think you can purchase "better or upgraded components" in comparison to these. You can buy cheaper items. But if you want very good components, then this package deal is good. You could spend some time on Astromart and pick up these for less money, but it'll take you some time.
Good luck,
-Curtis

July 9, 2004 10:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade, Celestron settle patent lawsuits

Well, maybe now Meade can pay TeleVue for borrowing the design for their SWA and UWA eyepiece line....One good turn deserves another....
-Curtis

May 19, 2004 02:10 AM Forum: Polls

Do you like the new design?

I read that there were changes coming, but this is AMAZING!
Seems I remember a thread in the last few weeks where Herb was being nominated for President.
I think this clinches it.
The idea that he is providing a site of this quality....really impressive.
It's beautiful! Hats off to Herb!