Posts Made By: Don Spencer

August 24, 2002 04:37 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Epsilon Lyra

Posted By Don Spencer

Nice shot Walter...

August 26, 2002 06:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

12" LX200 primary scratched...HELP!

Posted By Don Spencer

Just bringing it back on top so it doesn't get burried...

September 12, 2002 02:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fuzzy star test = bad scope?

Posted By Don Spencer

Way too much light scatter Paul. I think you should get rid of this junk scope. By the way...I'll be gald to take it off your hands for $100...I collect junk scopes! :-)

September 27, 2002 02:22 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Veil Nebula in Ha and OIII light

Posted By Don Spencer

Fantastic Ron. One of the best images of a portion of the Veil I have ever seen.
Don

November 19, 2002 02:57 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

leonids

Posted By Don Spencer

Well, due to a stomach virus that has run amok in our household these past few
days, I was unable to make it to my local dark sky site for the meter shower. So, like any good
astronomer, I made due with what I had. Crystal clear with a LVM of between 4 &
4.5 here in East San Diego, I set up shop at 1:50am. Broke out the camera on the tripod and started
shooting/observing. In a word, SPECTACULAR! I counted 109 by the time I pocked it in
at 3:12am, with at least 10 showing high brilliance and long vapor trails. One
interesting one was spotted right next to 40 Leonis, where it didn't shoot
across, it just flared up like a green ball. I was shooting in that area, so I
hope it comes out. All in all, I snapped about 10 to 12 shots, the longest
being 8 minutes.
Can't wait to hear how it was at a dark sky site...
Don

December 19, 2002 12:32 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

old image reprocessed

Posted By Don Spencer

Nice job Andrew. This is funny, I just got done messing around with my I-K photo last night. Here are the results...
Don
BTW...was taken with a 400mm Spiratone lens f/6.3 on Fuji Superia 800

January 9, 2003 03:27 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Help? - Autoguiding for film photography

Posted By Don Spencer

Anthony,
Well, I have just started to get into prime focus astrophotography (been doing piggy back for a little over a year now) and here is what I have found. Just about every article that I have read says not to guide an SCT with a guide scope do to flexure in the system. Your best bet is to continue doing what you are doing with the OAG. That being said, I am using Lumicons Giant easy Guider (For my 12" LX200), which has a built in focal reducer. This focal reduscer can be placed in 2 spots. it's normal spot is between the pickoff prisim and the camera mount, which means you will still be guiding at f/10, but shooting at f/7.5. The other position at which you can place the FR is between the pickoff prisim and the ota, with gives you an f/5.5 system for both guiding and photography, but will introduce some vignetting into you photos (Which can be cropped out). I have been guiding with the ST-4 both at f/10 and just last week, at f/7.5...the GEG made a huge difference.
Here is a link to Philip Perkins site for guiding an SCT...Very helpful..
http://www.astrocruise.com/guide.htm

I hope this helps.
Don Spencer

January 10, 2003 07:21 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Orion

Posted By Don Spencer

Very nice Benoit! Well framed.

January 12, 2003 03:24 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Astrophotography progression/autoguider?

Posted By Don Spencer

Wyane,
You sound like me! *L* I have asked alot of questions to folks who seem to know what they are talking about. Bottom line, the ST-4 was the consenus pick. The CCD chip on the 201 is much smaller, thus making it harder to find a guide star. I also hear that getting it setup is much more difficult. Now, I have heard of folks making it work, so it's not impossible. I believe MAPUG (www.mapug.com) has some good tips on how to get it to work properly. The advantage of the 201? Less stressful on the pocket book. I have been using the ST-4 on my LX200 and have found it to work great. If I had gotten some decent weather on my last outing, I might have had some photos to show you.*L* Here is a helpful page on guiding with the ST-4...
http://www.astrocruise.com/guide.htm

Don Spencer

January 17, 2003 12:28 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

A deep M31

Posted By Don Spencer

wonderful photo Jeff.