My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Lee Spain

January 31, 2007 05:26 PM Forum: Politics

Happy Ashoura!

Posted By Lee Spain

I'd just like to extend a moment of cultural understanding and let all the Shiites out there know that I'm sorry that the Sunnis killed Imam Hussein in A.D. 680 in a battle somewhere outside of Karbala. Perhaps as the son of the prophet's cousin Ali, he would would have been the natural successor to the Prophet? I hope you enjoy parading about and cutting yourselves with swords to commemorate Husseins death. Please sanitize your blades and stay off of carpeted areas. May the peaceful traditions of Islam long continue in the Middle East. Party on. 8)

February 1, 2007 03:47 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re-entry Heat

Posted By Lee Spain

Here are my geeky questions of the day:
I recently read an article about a private company that hopes to take passengers up for short space rides in what was described as a 'souped up lear jet.'

Will these private space ventures to take people to the edge of space have to cope with the same sorts of re-entry heat that space capsules and the space shuttle deal with? Or do they deal with far less heat because they re-enter at far lower speeds? And, if the heat is so much less for a low speed reentry, is it possible to slow a spacecraft like the shuttle down enough before it enters the atmosphere so that reentry heat is reduced? 8O

February 5, 2007 05:57 PM Forum: Politics

Run vs. Contain it

Posted By Lee Spain

I read an interesting column today in the Atlanta Journal Constition about things that may be to come in Iraq. Namely, there are a number of studies that imply that if the violence in Iraq is left unchecked, it may spiral into a full on regional Shia vs. Shiite conflict that could involve neighboring countries like Iran, Syria, Turkey, Jordan and Saudi Arabia and ultimately lead to a disruption of oil supplies from the Persian Gulf. Because the religious divisions cross current state boundaries, the conflict has many characteristics that could cause it to jump the borders of Iraq.

The columnist, Jay Bookman, surmised that politicians on all sides of the issue may be wrong. The Bush administration failed to account for the age old hatreds within the region and the Democrats may be wrong for calling for us to wash our hands and step away from what may well spiral into an unprecedented humanitarian and national security disaster.

So, should we cut and run from the coming conflict, stay and try to contain it, or just see how Allah wills it?

February 13, 2007 08:53 PM Forum: Politics

Any opinions on the North Korea deal?

Posted By Lee Spain

When you guys get done cavorting with a reader/known terrorist wink , I'd love to see your opinions about this new deal with North Korea . . . 8)

February 15, 2007 08:48 PM Forum: Sports

NASCAR Cheatin'

Posted By Lee Spain

Michael Waltrip apologized for his teams involvement in the current cheating scandal. If this was an ordinary sport, I'd be upset. wink

But, since this is NASCAR, and it evolved from a bunch of hillbilly bootleggers racing cars that were originally used to drive moonshine down dark mountain roads, I think cheating is perfectly acceptable in the sport and should be encouraged as a means of keeping in touch with the sports origins. 8)

However, anyone who gets caught should still be penalized. For the race, I'd suggest that their cars have to carry an additional weight (500 lbs) in the form of cement filled moonshine jugs secured to the floor behind the driver and 1/3 of the offending pit crew be placed on public display in a ceremonial jail in the infield . . . . wink

February 16, 2007 02:43 PM Forum: Politics

Iraqi refugees

Posted By Lee Spain

I haven't listened to their congressional testimony yet, but it seems to me that Iraqis should not be allowed to flee to the U.S. until our own troops have returned home. In addition, the government of Iraq should come up with programs to establish safe havens and "green zones" within their own borders for internally displaced people. It's also incumbent upon the Iraqi people to work together to defeat terrorism and extremism rather than fleeing to other countries. 8)

February 18, 2007 08:28 PM Forum: Sports

Credit to Vanderbilt

Posted By Lee Spain

I jinxed my Gators on Saturday by actually watching them play basketball. I don't know crap about basketball, but I've got to say the Commodores played very aggressively at home and looked awfully good. Definitely something to file away for anyone putting $2 into a March madness office pool . . . wink

P.S. Thank God they didn't beat us in football . . .

February 19, 2007 06:51 PM Forum: Politics

Washington and Jefferson Forgotten in Poll

Posted By Lee Spain

We've totally gotten obsessed with celebrity in assessing the Presidency. If you ask me (and you didn't), Washington and Jefferson got totally screwed in this online poll:

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/

Today's political leaders never froze their butts off at Valley Forge? And, if today's leaders could choose to be Emperors or Kings, could we trust them not to? I don't think so.

And, would today's leaders have the vision to make the Louisiana Purchase, I don't think so. Today's leaders are giving back the Louisiana Purchase each and every day when they fail to secure our borders.

How can anyone give Reagan, Clinton, and Kennedy spots 2, 3, and 4? They were all good in different ways, but 2, 3, and 4? That is crazy. They each had some really significant shortcomings.

Finally, Abe Lincoln is number one even though he was the most polarizing president ever, opted for an unjust military invasion of sovereign neighboring countries, and had to cope with poor military leaders in the execution of his ill-conceived war strategy.

February 28, 2007 04:15 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

EnviroTopic1 - Do Carbon Offsets make sense?

Posted By Lee Spain

Many environmentally conscious celebrities are buying "carbon offsets" from companies like Terrapass. The offsets supposedly fund projects for wind power, land fill methane use, etc. which will offset the CO2 emissions of driving an SUV or flying. I understand the concept of a marketplace for pollution reduction and think it makes a lot of sense for industries that cannot physically produce needed products without making some pollution.
But, wouldn't it make more sense on an individual level for people to just be more energy efficient?

February 28, 2007 04:22 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

EnviroTopic2 - Paper Useage Good or Bad

Posted By Lee Spain

Environmentalists are always telling people to reduce their paper useage because paper products kill X-number of trees.

However, here in Georgia, Georgia- Pacific recently sold large swaths of pine tree forest land that used to produce trees for paper to developers. The developers will in turn cut it all down and replace it with large golf and retirement communities so that the boomers can live where Bambi and Hogzilla once roamed. I don't think that can be good for the environment.

This makes me think that we'd be better off using tons and tons of paper products so that there will be sufficient economic value to keep land forested with trees to producing pulp and paper products.

What say you?