Posts Made By: Anthony Wesley

July 19, 2009 06:30 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Black impact mark on Jupiter

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Yes, believe it or not, it seems that Jupiter has been hit by something and there is a jet black impact mark near its south pole. Here is an image I captured a couple of hours ago - if you have the chance to get out and see this longitude yourself then you should do it!

This sort of thing doesn't happen very often. The last one I remember was the Shoemaker-Levy impacts in 1994.

I have a page where I'll be putting my images and reports on this:
http://jupiter.samba.org/

regards, Anthony

July 26, 2009 01:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter, July 23 - Io, callisto and GRS

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Some excellent seeing on the 23rd, Io, it's shadow, Callisto and the GRS...

cheers, Anthony

August 5, 2009 11:16 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter, 4th August

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Here's an image of Jupiter from last night in very good seeing. I think this is getting close to the limits of my scope.

regards, Anthony

October 21, 2009 05:07 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter October 19/20

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Hi all, here are two recent Jupiter images from the last two nights, in good seeing. The seeing was better for the second image (Oct 20).

cheers, Anthony

November 19, 2009 11:24 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars, Nov 17

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Here are a couple of Mars images from the morning of Nov 17, despite the very low altitude the seeing was not too bad, and I used a 742nm Astronomik IR pass filter as my "red" channel to improve contrast.

regards, Anthony

December 7, 2009 03:28 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars Dec 6

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Here is an image of Mars from this morning in average seeing, it's slowly getting larger and better placed for us southerners to image...

2 minutes capture per channel in IR (742nm) @ 44fps , G @ 50fps, B @ 40fps
Stacked best 2000 frames per channel.

The limb artifact is still present but somewhat reduced due to better seeing for this image compared to the last one a few days ago.

There appears to be some bright material in a line just below the North pole (at bottom), is this dust?

regards, Bird

December 11, 2009 01:13 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter, Dec 9

Posted By Anthony Wesley

All,

Here is an image of Jupiter taken not long after sunset a couple of nights ago. Oval BA can be seen (just) at the top right.

cheers, Anthony

February 19, 2010 06:47 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn, Feb 18

Posted By Anthony Wesley

After weeks of rain and clouds it was nice to see a clear night and steady seeing for a change!

This image of Saturn was taken jut after 3am this morning, you can see Titan to the top left and Tethys to the left just above the rings (it's faint).

Taken with my 14.5" scope.

cheers, Anthony

February 20, 2010 09:07 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn Feb 19 + Rhea shadow

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Some more good seeing this morning, Here's an image showing Rhea in transit and its shadow. Tethys is also visible off the disk to the left.

regards, Anthony

February 27, 2010 11:14 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn animation, Feb 19

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Here's a 6 frame animation of Saturn from Feb 19, I wasn't happy with the normal animated-gif style as it loses a lot of image quality, so I've butchered up a javascript animator that shows the original jpegs much better.

The animation shows Rhea in transit as well as its shadow and a good amount of low-contrast cloud detail.

regards, Bird

Link:
http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro/gallery/saturn/20100219-anim/