Posts Made By: David Cotterell

March 19, 2024 06:51 PM Forum: Politics

What are your eclipse plans?

Posted By David Cotterell

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Did you miss the part where Trump starts his speeches with the "patriotic" song sung by the "hostages" in our US prisons after being convicted by a jury of their peers? 
That's even a bridge too far for at least some sitting GOP senators along with Mike Pence, as per his comments yesterday.

Do you think the people who attend his rallies, many of whom travel the country to attend them with Trump, hear anything but this:
"If I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a blood bath for the whole — that’s going to be the least of it. It’s going to be a blood bath for the country,”
Do you think they're going to read every word in the transcript and take it all in context? I ask you: Is that what you think?

These are the same kinds of bobbleheads that attacked the capitol on jan 6th. These are the same kinds of bobbleheads that nod their heads in agreement with Trump when he said Biden defeated Obama the other day. 

Is there some sort of "context" for this by Trump:

“I don’t know if you call them people,” he said at the rally. “In some cases they’re not people, in my opinion. But I’m not allowed to say that because the radical left says that’s a terrible thing to say.”

Well, how about it?
Rod, I concur that there was plenty of inflammatory rhetoric in this one speech.  But ITrump has nowhere near the intellectual ability to plan a ruse where he says 'bloodbath' about the cars thing when he really wants his followers to think it will be a  'bloodbath' of and/or caused by the nasty brown immigrants.   The vast majority of his core followers might construe it that way but Trump ain't got the brains to influence them like that.  
Dave

March 19, 2024 08:03 PM Forum: Politics

What are your eclipse plans?

"The House Jan. 6 committee’s final report asserts that Donald Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 presidential election and failed to act to stop his supporters from attacking the Capitol, concluding an extraordinary 18-month investigation into the former president and the violent insurrection two years ago."
"Trump “lit that fire,” the committee’s chairman, Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson, writes."

https://apnews.com/article/jan-6-committee-final-report-trump-bcfea6162fe9cfa0d120e86d069af0e4
Yeah but he didn't do it in Ohio.  Yesterday.    

He DID incite tons of race-hating anti-immigrant stuff though.

BTW, thanks for derailing my otherwise rather friendly thread on the eclipse.

Dave

March 31, 2024 05:52 PM Forum: Politics

Springtime resolution

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

He then put forth a post in which he felt entitled to make a feeble attempt to denigrate my character, without fear of reprisal, just as all of you leftist clowns think you're entitled to do. 

Something you never do to the various participants here, of course....

Dave

April 10, 2024 03:49 PM Forum: Politics

Lucky weather

Hi, guys!  Long day's drive yesterday so I'm just getting around to connecting....

My plans for an observing site began with Napanee ON, passed through Montreal Quebec where I took a motel, Cowansville Quebec and ended up with a late  morning 2 hour drive to Scotstown Quebec. Those clouds were coming eastward relentlessly like Liam Neeson coming for the kidnappers.... I did not plan on that location as I had intended to get to Mont Megantic where some of my club mates had gone.  It was about 1230 when I drove though Scotstown and saw the gaggle of people and their equipment by the river and looked behind at the impending cloud bank which wasn't visible there.  So I pulled in and joined a group of about 20 people.  Mostly Canadians but a few Americans, one Swiss and a guy who came all the way from China!  Experience levels from raw noob to expert...

I had about 1 h 45 to get ready.  My downfall was a relatively poor polar alignment done by compass, clinometer and eyeball (that birch tree to the right of the big pine is north).  I had to re-center the sun in my 65mm scope on the AM3 mount about a half dozen times over the course of the entire event.  Thus, a movie won't happen but I have many good stills.  I also set up an iPad to do a time lapse of the 20 minutes entered on totality and a Canon xTi with a 10mm lens to take shots every 10 seconds for those same 20 minutes.

Words fail to describe totality.  That naked eye prominence! Jupiter and Saturn!  I failed to find Mercury (too dim?) and the Saturn/Mars pair. (too low in the SW)  A quick few seconds were spent in a search for the comet.  No luck.  To the southeast I saw Sirius and just a glimpse of Orion...

After packing up I was facing a 2-hour drive back to Montreal.  But, it occurs to me now, EVERY wee little town, Walmart parking lot, sports field and public park in the eastern half of the Quebec totality path had 10 or 30 or 125 people viewing the eclipse.  And. They. All. Took. Highway. 10. Back. To. Montreal.  4 hours and 15 minutes...  poking along at 15-35 kmh......  reached the hotel just before 10pm.

Some pics follow. Here are links to full sized versions of the pics hosted at my club's website...

https://rascbelleville.ca/gallery/f1712709233.jpeg
https://rascbelleville.ca/gallery/f1712709116.jpeg
https://rascbelleville.ca/gallery/f1712760373.jpeg

Dave

April 10, 2024 03:52 PM Forum: Politics

Lucky weather

Diamond ring

April 10, 2024 03:54 PM Forum: Politics

Lucky weather

Wide view with Jupiter and Venus..

Dave

April 10, 2024 03:55 PM Forum: Politics

Lucky weather

I have two Timelapses but I don't think there is a way to share them here....

Dave

April 10, 2024 11:45 PM Forum: Politics

The Number One Predictor For Trump Winning Re-Election

“It’s the most serious threat to the economy,” Moody’s chief economist Mark Zandi told CNN in a phone interview. “Nothing does more damage to the economy more quickly than higher oil prices.”

"Moody’s published a model earlier this year that showed gas prices are a key variable in the November election, one that could tip the scales in the favor of former President Donald Trump."

“If they go above $4 a gallon for more than two or three months, Trump will win,” Zandi said.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/08/business/oil-price-surge-threat-us-economy/index.html
Because Biden/Trump/whoever has control over the per barrel price of oil which is set by cartels in foreign countries. Sure.

.   Domestic oil companies are locked into the pricing system.  They could ignore the cartel prices and set lower ones for us but why would they?  "Profits rule and if the international price is $x we just have to use that price too because our shareholders would moan that we weren't making enough profit..."  And it's the President's fault.  

Capitalism at its finest.
Dave

April 11, 2024 07:07 PM Forum: Politics

OJ Simpson dead.

Apparently he has expanded his 30-year long search for the real killers to the afterlife.  Go get 'em, OJ!

Dave

April 12, 2024 03:24 PM Forum: Politics

COLORADO Rep: Oops, I Forgot My Loaded 9mm Glock In The Capitol Bathroom!

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Rod, let's talk about what's really important. OK? Are trans people allowed to use that bathroom? Because if they are, we are going to need legislation against that.
Think of the jobs created - restroom monitors!  "Hi, can you please drop your pants and undies so I can check that you are in the correct restroom?"  "But my daughter is only 12!"  "Sorry, ma'am, no exceptions."  

Eyeroll

Dave