New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jason Boyce

August 2, 2008 09:10 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M16 in HaRGB

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi again smile

I shot Ha on this back on June 7th and shot the RGB on June 11th.Almost forgot about the RGB because most of it was ruined by clouds.I took another look at it today and managed to save 5x120s each of the color set.Not great data,Blue was very out of focus,I was suprised how it came out,good thing it's bright wink

Here's the result of 19x600s with a 6nm Ha filter and 5x120s each of RGB.
cropped just a bit around the edges and sized at 60%.

TMB115 at F7
ST10xme
1200gto

Thanks for looking!

Jason

August 13, 2008 12:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

VDB142 Ha

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi,

The Elephants Trunk,you all know this one well as it's been shot many times,there's some really great images out there of it which is what inspired me to give it a go smile

This is 28x600s through a 6nm Ha filter with a ST10xme and my TMB115 at F7.
A bit larger FOV would be nice here,it would have been nice to get some more of the dark nebula and structure just below the Trunk.

I had a thought to do a bicolor version of this so I shot 28x600s of OIII on this too but it doesn't seem to have a lot,I'll see if I can make something of it though.

Two images to post,the first is full frame reduced to 60%,the 2nd is a 100% crop of the Trunk itself.

Thanks for looking,your comments/critiques are most welcomed.

Jason

August 16, 2008 10:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Elephant Trunk Bicolor

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi,

I've been clouded over for for awhile now and have not been able to collect anymore data on this one so I decided to go ahead and process up what I had and see how it came out.

I ended up with many different versions,narrowband is really lots of fun to play with during processing grin

I am going to post 3 versions of this each with some differences in color.They each contain the same data,28x600s Ha 28x600s OIII.

The Ha was much,much better than the OIII and I struggled to get the colors I was hoping for and never really did.I was expecting a bit more Red honestly but evertime I tried to get it the image would take on a more purplish appearance.Maybe the OIII was simply not strong enough compared to the Ha,or maybe I just have a lot to learn about processing narrowband smile

Well, here's my first attempt at a bicolor,I averaged the Ha and OIII to create the green channel on this first one.The color is probably not correct but I think it holds the most detail of the lot.

Thanks for looking and I am always open to suggestions!

Jason

October 10, 2008 02:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Re: Dark blobs on CCD

Posted By Jason Boyce

Kenneth,

Definitely dust,very close or on the chip as others have pointed out.
Good flats will make these disappear and also bring easier processing with better results on your final image.

To get your chip as clean as possible I would also recommend the rocket blaster.I use one and it is very effective.

Jason

October 13, 2008 01:23 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M34

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

Been awhile since I have posted an image,lot's of problems over the last 2 months in my observatory :C Boy,when Murphy visits he likes to stay awhile!

I think all is straightened out now and have a couple images in the works.
This M34 I managed to shoot back on September 24th.It's a RGB with 40 minutes each.
My darks were old and created a few problems I tried to fix in Photoshop.

Taken with a TMB115@F7 and ST10xme.
My complete work for September!

Thanks for looking,

Jason

October 21, 2008 03:19 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC281 in Ha

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi,

I had a nice run of pretty good skies over the last week,unfortunately they coincided with a nearly full moon,Oh well,I'll take em when I can get em!

I shot RGB for this too but have not had much luck getting it looking good yet so for now here is the Ha.

I stretched it pretty hard trying to show as much nebulosity as possible,hope I didn't push it too hard,let me know if I did!

Taken with my TMB115@F7,ST10xme and 1200gto.

Thanks for looking,

Jason

October 25, 2008 02:21 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC281Ha/RGB

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

I've had a chance to process the RGB data on this to go along with the Ha I posted earlier,I have to say I'm not real pleased with the outcome I seem to keep coming to.The RGB was aquired under a near full moon and is just not as good as I need it to be,pretty weak considering the amount of time in it sad

This is now 40x600s Ha
25x240s Red
25x270s Green
20x360s Blue

I usually shoot equal exposure times but thought I would try something different here,maybe if not for the moon the RGB would have been better.

Here is what I ended up with,so far!
Can't seem to get a good Red saturation no matter how I blend the Ha in,unless I barely use it.

Jason

November 1, 2008 06:30 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Yet another M33

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

Well after looking at the Tony Hallas image Roland just posted I thought twice about even posting my version!

Anyway,heres my attempt at the ever popular M33 smile

I shot the Luminance for this back on Oct.9th and took the RGB on Oct.30th under fairly good conditions,just a bit of haze in the air.

Luminance image is 30x300s,RGB is 12x600s each,8-1/2 hours total.
I usually shoot shorter RGB frames to keep the gradients from light pollution under control but went long this time to see how bad it would be,it was pretty bad!I did what I could to tame the gradient down but could not get rid of it completely.

Acquired with my TMB115 and ST10xme at F7.
1200gto guided with a remote guide head and efinder.
Aquisition automated with CCDAP4.

Reduced to 55% of full size and trimmed around the edges a bit due to a slight difference in my camera rotation on the two nights.

Thanks for looking,tips to help make it more like Tony's welcome!

Jason

November 3, 2008 03:36 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC281 HaRGB

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hello,

I posted a version of this awhile back that I was not too happy with,I spent a good deal of time processing the data I had and decided that the RGB was just not deep enough to get a good result so I reshot it grin

Had a good night to shoot,very transparent skies and decent seeing.
I collected 15x600s each of RGB to go along with the 40x600s of Ha I had shot previously.

I went about the processing a bit different,I created a Synthetic Luminance from the average of all the RGB subs and added Ha to it at about 50%.I also added Ha into the Red at 25% and into the Blue at %5.
I converted the HaR,RGB image to lab mode and replaced the lightness image with the Synthlum,Ha image.I like how this worked,I have used lab color before for adding the luminance image but never for Ha.
I added Ha as luminance after this in just a small amount,maybe about 8%.
This gave me a pretty good color,I think.

So this is now about 14 hours total exposure time and so much processing time I'm trying to forget about it!
I think this result is much better than the first version,I would still like to get some more of the Ha into it but it is on the edge of starting to turn Salmon colored if I put anymore in.
Somewhere along the way I lost control of the stars and they grew large on me,when my eyes recover from this round I may go back and try again.

Imaged with my TMB115 at F7,ST-10xme and 1200gto
Acquisition automated with CCDAP4.
CCDStack and CS2 for the processing.

Thanks for looking,comments and tips welcome.

Jason

November 6, 2008 01:25 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

IC410 Ha

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

I have imaged this one once before with a much narrower FOV so thought I would give it try with a wider field setup.

Not the best of nights,lots of clouds passing through and I ended throwing out nearly half of the subs :C
I was able to save 20 of the 38 I took.

This is just the Ha for now,I hope to get color for it soon however after a very nice October it looks like winter is arriving in November.

So this is 20x600s through an Astrodon 6nm Ha filter with the TMB115 at F7 with ST10xme.
Resized to 60%

I tried to process this so it ended up looking like it has some depth to it,not sure if I accomplished that or not.What do you think?

Thanks for having a look,your comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Jason