New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Shaffer

November 12, 2021 11:11 AM Forum: Politics

OT: Texas Star Party?

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal
I know it's odd to bring up in a Political Forum, but I'm just curious if any of you fellows ever attended TSP back in the '80s and early '90s? I attended regularly back then and am wondering if I ever run into any of you?

I have not been to TSP......but have been threatening to for several years now ever since I built my 8" F/16 Refractor. Soon as this covid thing settles down some more I plan to......

November 13, 2021 01:24 AM Forum: Politics

Just because you're not sitting in a Gulag somewhere, for speaking out against your gov't....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I dont blame you Moscheck.....I would walk away from that beatdown you just got too smile

November 13, 2021 03:44 AM Forum: Politics

Just because you're not sitting in a Gulag somewhere, for speaking out against your gov't....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck

The reason I don't post as much as I would like is because instead of any discussion all we get are beatdowns. A win at all costs to own the other side mentality.

I for one am getting real tired of the polarization in this country. Both sides are a little good and both sides are little bad. At least that's the way it used to be. Republicans voting for infrastructure and then being threatened by their own side? What if it was a good deal for their states and their constituents were for it? Did you hear the recording of the threat to Fred Upton R Michigan? Despicable. 

https://wdet.org/posts/2021/11/11/91697-michigan-gop-rep-upton-on-guard-after-receiving-death-threats-over-vote-for-infrastructure-bill/

You brought that one on yourself via a large dose of blatant hypocrisy..... That said, I am tired of the polarization myself.

Regarding the infrastructure bill boondoggle, I am frankly surprised someone hasnt been shot over it yet. Its packed with things that are not infrastructure related. In fact only about 25% of it is infrastructure specific....The rest of it is devoted primarily to the lefts favorite holes to throw money at. People are rightfully upset that some so called conservatives (RINOs) helped pass it. Threats are not good though, lets hope no one makes good on them. 

November 13, 2021 03:51 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Mel Maki

What a scope. I had a fantasy of using an 8" f/24 for a moment.  It was great                                                                         fun just following your build. 

Thanks Mel....it has by far become my most used scope. When the seeing allowed I have been able to get crisp, sharp views of the planets at 700x though that is rare. 300 to 350x is common though......

November 13, 2021 05:16 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I would love to take a look at Jupiter or Saturn with that refractor. What mount do you use with that beast?

At least you do astronomy Greg. I'm not to sure about some others here. 

I use it with a Losmandy GM-200 (rated for 150 lbs) and its rock solid as long as things are calm....if its a breezy evening I usually observe with something else like the C11 etc.....

November 13, 2021 05:44 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

If all they watch is OAAN, or whatever it's called, Fox, Newsmax, or Breitbart is it surprising they don't know what's in the bill?

Fox News constantly rails against the vaccines, but they don't tell you everyone who works there is either vaccinated or has to be tested daily in order to keep their jobs. Sounds like a mandate to me.

LOL I am always amazed how quickly the left resorts to attacking the sources when someone doesnt agree with them. I READ THE BILL.....did you? All news sources show bias in my experience so I dont rely on them when it comes to what is really in a piece of legislation. I am gonna put my money on neither you nor Rod have read it and therefor only know what your biased sources say about it......

Ohh and there is no mandate at FOX NEWS regarding the vaccine from what I have heard....

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/3684

November 13, 2021 05:55 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

That's awesome, Greg! That adjustable chair is a necessity, especially when at zenith.

Definitely.....should have seen me trying to use it at zenith before making the pier extension LOL

November 13, 2021 05:57 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
That 8" f16 seems like a good candidate for a folded refractor design by means of an optical flat. Some earnest ATM club in Texas or elsewhere might be interested in going in on it. Probably cut the tube length by half or more... 

I considered it......but decided to keep the optical train as simple and clean as possible. 

November 13, 2021 06:17 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

This is essentially a house committee version of the bill and contains the much of the same that was previously cited in the AP analysis. There's nothing there that backs up anything Greg stated such as, "in fact only about 25% of it is infrastructure specific....The rest of it is devoted primarily to the lefts favorite holes to throw money at."

LOL....you didnt read it obviously... 

November 13, 2021 09:07 AM Forum: Politics

Utah/Washington Governors Blast Idaho Over Covid Cases

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I guess someone had to start singing Kumbaya......lol