Posts Made By: Robert Schmall

June 9, 2004 02:04 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Supporter suggestion

Posted By Robert Schmall

Herb:
I just signed on as a supporter--and about time--and thought I'd ask you to consider sending an automatic Thank You to anyone who does so. This is not for me but would be a good PR move for you.

Bob Schmall

December 2, 2004 02:32 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Renewal

Posted By Robert Schmall

Herb:
I'm going to renew my support, but am waiting to see whether the mechanism will be the same as now or changed to some other form of payment. If nothing has been decided by the end of the year, I'll renew the same old way.

Bob Schmall

January 12, 2006 05:10 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Helix Nebula

Posted By Robert Schmall

Check the Astronomy Picture Of the Day on 1-12. It's the Helix in infrared as taken by the Spitzer telescope. Given the appearance of the object in this image, I propose that it be renamed the Sauron Nebula.

Bob Schmall

March 25, 2009 06:09 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Astronomy volunteers needed

Posted By Robert Schmall

Astronomy volunteers
needed in New Mexico

City of Rocks State Park, a dark sky site in southwestern New Mexico, USA, is seeking astronomy volunteers to assist with their ongoing public programs. The park is located between Deming and Silver City, New Mexico.

The park’s solar-powered Simon observatory has a Meade 14-inch LX200GPS telescope. Volunteers will present several astronomy programs per week followed by public observing sessions at the observatory. The park has a number of PowerPoint shows available, or volunteers can present programs of their own. They are welcome to bring their own telescopes, although storage is not available.

New Mexico requires 24 hours per week per campsite and a commitment of at least 2 months in exchange for a full-hookup site. Volunteers will also assist at the visitor center and act as campground hosts with other volunteers. A typical work week is 4 days on, 4 off. No rest room cleaning is required.

Prospective volunteers should provide a resume detailing their education and experience in astronomy. More information on City of Rocks and a volunteer application are at www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/cityrocks.htm. For direct information contact Ranger Gabriel Medrano at 575-536-2800 or [email protected].

April 7, 2009 02:02 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Suggestion for AM poll

Posted By Robert Schmall

Would you pay $12 a year for Astromart? Yes/No

November 25, 2009 02:52 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

APOD 11-25-09

Posted By Robert Schmall

Check out the incredible all-sky mosaic on Astronomy Picture of the Day today--it's zoomable.

November 25, 2009 03:06 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

How to drive a Veyron

Posted By Robert Schmall

...or not.
Anyone note the $1.25 million Bugatti Veyron parked in a pond because the driver was distracted by a pelican? Skill is not a prerequisite, just the down paymnent.

April 12, 2010 12:47 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: What do you think about this ad (Leitz 30mm)?

Posted By Robert Schmall

All together now: "Somewhere, over the rainbow...."

April 18, 2010 10:29 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Iceland volcano

Posted By Robert Schmall

A link to a number of spectacular shots, including one that might appear on APOD>
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html

July 19, 2010 12:25 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

SBIG STV: How Much?

Posted By Robert Schmall

I just picked up a scope rig that includes an SBIG STV in gorgeous condition. I plan to do very little imaging, and that with a DSLR, so the STV will be sold. I don't know how much to ask for it--any advice?
Bob