Posts Made By: George Blahun

January 7, 2023 11:02 PM Forum: Politics

Speaker of the House election

Posted By George Blahun

Despite finally getting feckless Kevin elected, the GOP is going to be a political dumpster fire for the next couple of years.  Great entertainment value, but a deplorable situation for the US government.  

January 7, 2023 11:02 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By George Blahun

At least the late-night comedians will have material to work with.

January 8, 2023 07:24 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By George Blahun

I watched the entire bizarre theatrical production from 10 pm on.  The GOP delegation to Congress has turned into a goddamn joke, and it's not just the full-on fascist wing of the party.  The thing that really annoyed me was Kevin spent his first few minutes as Speaker bitching out the Biden Administration and pandering to the insurrectionists instead of doing what Jeffreys did.  

January 9, 2023 05:37 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By George Blahun

Originally Posted by James Brown

Claiming that Pelosi was the best speaker in US History?  Lauding Biden's legion of legislative accomplishments?  Would have been kind of weird if McCarthy did what Jeffries did.  
James:
     I'm a little surprised you missed or ignored the point that the moment in the spotlight was spent bitching rather than stating a positive vision for the years ahead.  If I missed the humorous or sarcastic intent of your comment, I apologize.

August 2, 2023 01:31 PM Forum: Politics

Trump Indicted. Again.

Posted By George Blahun

The evidence against Trump is so overwhelming that after the initial knee-jerk reaction by supporters to defend him, reality will eventually settle in and some will realize they are defending the indefensible and ultimately move on to someone who they think has a chance to get a GOP candidate in the White House.  The real battle to watch here is not the obvious Trump vs the Justice Department, but the infighting among Republicans.  I do expect the trial to be televised despite the resistance to doing so. 

August 3, 2023 02:07 PM Forum: Politics

Glad to see this..

Posted By George Blahun

The ability to impeach justices seems like a form of regulation to me.

September 26, 2023 02:17 AM Forum: Politics

Trump suggests Mark Milley should be executed in possible breach of pre-trial release conditions

Posted By George Blahun

Beats me.  Fascism and incompetence should be a disqualifying set of traits.

December 20, 2023 01:52 AM Forum: Politics

Colorado SCOTUS Kicks Trump Off Ballot

Posted By George Blahun

You're right about Clarence, and Sam will likely join in.  There's a chance the other Trump appointees will at least consider the question.  I certainly don't want an all-out fascist takeover of the government, but I don't have a great feeling about the way SCOTUS will vote.

December 20, 2023 04:29 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By George Blahun

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

V. Lenin once uttered a famous quotation about those like yourself.  

And he obviously did understand the one thing that You and those like you, are useful for is to expose just how radical the left can be and how radical they still are. 

It is apparent that those days when you were a member of the radical left SDS have never really left you have they.
Rich:
     You are right about me, but I'm not the person making these decisions.  When state justices make decisions like, this even close ones, it's time for you and others to pay attention.  There are good legal arguments on both sides, but it's clear to me what Trump intended and that's why I don't want him on the ballot or anywhere close to the White House. We barely got rid of him the first time and if he ever gets in again, that son-of-a-bitch will not leave without violence.  BTW, do you realize you are as far to the right as I am to the left?  Speaking of which, have you joined the John Birch Society yet, or are they too liberal for you?

December 21, 2023 12:23 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By George Blahun

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

There are no good legal arguments for the side that ruled that he has incited an insurrection George.

Here are the facts.  They stated a decree, or in other words, just made a declaration finding him guilty of Insurrection.

The 14th Amendment says: ...engaged in insurrection or rebellion.  It does not say: found guilty in a court. That, like all legal arguments based on specific words, matters.  You're focused on just the day of Jan 6th, but when you look at the entire plot to overturn the election it is clear Trump intended to stay in office by whatever means was necessary.  Benito Trump sat in his office watching the plot unfold in all of its nonpeaceful glory.  I get it, you're looking for a way out and are searching for a narrow escape clause.  Reading the transcripts from as many sources as there have been and the accounts of those close to him like Cassidy Hutchinson and even departing Rep Kevin McCarthy, shows a much different story than defenders of Trump want to admit as evidence.  BTW, Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis were never "found guilty in a court" of insurrection or treason, but they certainly met the definition by their actions.