My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Clemens

December 2, 2005 11:58 AM Forum: Star Parties

Anchorage Alaska Area, Every 2 Weeks

Posted By Mike Clemens

Out at Eagle River Nature Center at the end of Eagle River Valley, there is a free astronomy presentation and then observing, clouds permitting. The next one is tonight Friday December 2nd, and then every other Friday following.

December 10, 2005 10:39 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

An Impetus For Iapetus

Posted By Mike Clemens

Can the radical difference in albedo between the two hemisphers of Saturns moon Iapetus be seen at the eyepiece? I cant find anything telling me if this satellite has a face locked towards Saturn, or if it's freely rotating. Ideally, I'd like
to see its brightness vary over observing session(s), if thats possible. I'd
guess if its tidally locked with Saturn that the eyepiece view will be more
consistent night after night.

Mike Clemens

December 16, 2005 01:17 AM Forum: Takahashi

NOW we're talking !!!

Posted By Mike Clemens

My FS128 is cooking with gas now. You've got to love the ample in-focus of the NSV (New Short Version) tubes, I've got room for the Feathertouch setup and the Camera Rotator! Though as I will show in the next image, it isn't really asking that much to put the Feathertouch unit on in place of the normal Tak 2" adapter.

Now I can use my Tak drawtube as coarse focus, and then home in with the dual speed Feathertouch.

Ted Ishikawa at Hutech/Borg sells all the parts if you're interested.

BTW, the images of Saturn and Mars the last few days have been nothing short of stunning in the FS128, with a Baader FFC "barlow" driving a binoviewer. I bought the FS128 to tide me over until my TEC160 arrives, but I'm honestly getting pretty attached to it.

Mike

February 6, 2006 08:42 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

August 10, 2006 11:12 PM Forum: Takahashi

NJP-LL Tripod Question

Posted By Mike Clemens

I have a Tak NJP Tripod where the previous owner has tapped out the three holes around the top to 5/16" bolts.

Can this tripod still be used for a stock NJP? or, are the 5/16" bolts too large to pass through whatever bolts down on this?

Thanks
Mike

October 10, 2006 11:17 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Re: AP 1200GTO (owners)

Posted By Mike Clemens

Quite a variety of scopes listed, might be hard coming up with an ideal pier height for all of that!

October 12, 2006 04:43 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

From Alascom Hill

Posted By Mike Clemens

At least thats what I call it, since the phone company Alascom put a big microwave relay antenna on this cool hill in the middle of a glacial valley. This is about 1/3 (IIRC) between Palmer Alaska and Glenallen Alaska on the Glenn highway.

October 16, 2006 01:33 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Exit Glacier

Posted By Mike Clemens

This is one of the coolest things you can drive/walk right up to and touch.

Imagine huge valleys, filled to the brim with snow and ice, 300 SQUARE MILES of snow and ice filling multiple valleys. It's the Harding Icefield (and it's the largest in North America if I recall correctly. )

The snow and the ice spills out of many bordering valleys, and this one is the only one you can drive up to. Exit Glacier just outside of Seward, Alaska. The picture was taken from a turn-off about dead center here looking to the lower left:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=seward+ak&ie=UTF8&z=13&ll=60.188988,-149.627609&spn=0.06025,0.228825&t=k&om=1

It's descending 1/2 a vertical mile in this shot.

October 17, 2006 09:21 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

from Black Tail Rocks, Eagle River, Alaska

Posted By Mike Clemens

This is one of my favorite places in the world. Pretty much my backyard of where I grew up. Maybe a 3 hour hike out of Eagle River, Alaska. I love these mountains as much as anyone should love huge piles of basaltic rock.

This is from a 4400 ft peak called "Black Tail Rocks". I think this was (11) 35mm frames combined into a pano. This is from September when the lighting is getting pretty low on the horizon and really warm (the light). The colors were a bit hard to get right so it's a bit technicolor.

Our local astronomy gatherings happen way back in that valley under the most rugged mountains in the background. They shield the light dome of Anchorage from us and leave a pretty good SE - E view.

October 25, 2006 04:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

cleaning the 200" mirror

Posted By Mike Clemens

Not sure if this has been posted before, I cannot find it if it has been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxp6aMhoT9U&eurl=

Mike