Captured by
Michael Scherman

Sun 2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chris Watts

October 13, 2007 12:02 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Object search - I need some basic help

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I have a Celestron Ultima 8. I have had it for many years, but just this past month moved it from it's fork mount to a CG-5A computer mount. I was out with it last night and was a little dissapointed.

1. i am not sure I had it polar aligned the best, but even after 2 star alignment I was not getting items centered in my eyepiece.

Couple questions?

1. What should be the fixed latitude setting of my mount in Lexington, KY
2. Can you give advice for a type and size of eyepiece that would work best for finding objects when they come into the field of view?

Thanks,
Chris

October 13, 2007 12:21 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Recommended finder eyepiece for 8" SCT

Posted By Chris Watts

For searching and finding objects i would think I would want a low power eyepiece and a very wide field of view. Can you make some recommendations, attached to a 2" diagonal.

Thanks,
Chris

October 13, 2007 01:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Eyepiece for searching and viewing

Posted By Chris Watts

i was out last night with my scope, and believe I need to get some quality eyepieces with some wide fields of view, in order to find and enjoy deep space viewing. Can you make some recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

October 22, 2007 09:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

WO 80mm APO Piggyback on Celestron Ultima 8"

Posted By Chris Watts

I have a Celestron Ultima 8" SCT. I have acquired a WO 80mm ZenithStar that i plan on piggy backing on the Ultima. has anyone done anything like this. The Zenith start weights between 5 and 6 lbs.

Thanks,
Chris

October 24, 2007 03:57 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Question on benefit of 2" diagonal

Posted By Chris Watts

I am purchasing a new 2" diagonal. Of course many of my ep are 1.25". I know the Diagonal comes with an adaptor, but I am curious if they are affected negatively being used in the 2" diagonal? My initial thought is that they would not be affected but I am curious.

Thanks
Chris

November 2, 2007 04:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

HELP WO focuser?

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I just acquired a WO 80mm ZenithStar (black model) on Astromart. The focuser is not engaging with the sleeve. I don't have any instructions with the scope, so i am not sure if there is a locking nut or something that might be preventing the sleeve from moving when I turn the focus knobs.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris Watts

November 2, 2007 07:46 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Polar Alignment and a GOTO scope...

Posted By Chris Watts

I have a Celestron CG-5A, and have 'rough' polar aligned this scope before my evening star searching. Once I start the alignment process (2 star) the first star chosen is Vega. It slews to that star, but is really pretty far off, in my opinion. I have no idea what to expect, but would assume it would have been closer? Is it normal that a small variance in alignment at the pole will be exponentially increased as it slews to a star some distance from the pole?

I tied this several times, making sure I had the time, date etc correct, but get the same result.

Advice please, is this to be expected?

Thanks,
Chris

November 3, 2007 12:40 PM Forum: Refractors

Refractor (first experience..)

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I have been playing around with my first Refractor ( ad WO 80mm ZenithStar) and I cannot believe the pinpoint views of the starts. I ahve it mounted on the back of a Celestron 8" Ultima, and the Ultima pales in comparison. now I have a 2" WO Diagonal on the WO, and an old original equipment celestron 1.25 Diagonal.

It also may need some collimation (never has been done, and i have owned it for almost 19 years). It has had some travel time also, been moved across country etc.

So the question is, can teh SCT have a good image, or certainly close to the WO Refractor. Reason I am asking is that I am considering now selling my SCT to buy a bigger refractor.

Thanks,
Chris

November 3, 2007 01:05 PM Forum: Refractors

Tele Vue NP101 Question.....

Posted By Chris Watts

I have been seeing a few of these pop up for sale on Astromart at around 2500. is that a good price for this telescope? Are there known issues or problems with this type of scope, listed as a Nagler/Petzel as I recall.

I would assume it would ride nicely on a Celestron CG-5A?

thanks
Chris

July 13, 2009 09:21 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Meade planetary ccd

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I have a Meade ccd planetary camera, and at one time the software would not recognize the usb port on a Visio system. It requires Windows or XP. Has there been any type of a softward upgrade to allow this to work on visio?