Posts Made By: Michael Sandy

May 28, 2005 03:51 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M13 test image

Posted By Michael Sandy

Hi Tom,

Looks like your BRC is performing well with that big chip. Did you have someone collimate it, or did you work through that yourself? You'll proably need to take flats with almost any other type of object - but this is a nice "first light" for your set-up. How are you handling focus?

Mike

June 4, 2005 07:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M13 wide shot

Posted By Michael Sandy

Hi Brian,

Nice widefield image, but I think your color is a little bit Red.

I've also been working on M-13, and I think Im getting the Blue stars, but I haven't been able to bring out the Yellow stars in the cluster. Here is where my image stands (cropped about 50%) - BRC-250, STL-11000, L=15x5min, RGB=5X5mins each:

June 5, 2005 05:30 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M4 region

Posted By Michael Sandy

That is an interesting area Tom. I think you are right though, and it may be that you did push the data too hard. Might be a good object to come back to and get more data when the weather clears.

June 5, 2005 05:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Another M13 (wide field)

Posted By Michael Sandy

That the color I'm tryng to pull out of mine......nice job! Looks like you had some heavy blooming to deal with. What subexposure times did you use, and how do you go about removing blooms?

I like this one!

July 8, 2005 06:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

My M27

Posted By Michael Sandy

A very nice image! Color balance looks very good to me!

August 28, 2005 06:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M20 Trifid Nebula

Posted By Michael Sandy

A very nice Trifid! I like the color balance and the way the dust shows up so clearly. I'm surprised you were able to capture so much (especially the blue) with 25 minutes of data. Shooting at F3.9 has got to help, but your skies must be pretty dark also. Well done!

August 31, 2005 05:27 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

North America and Pelican Wide Field Image

Posted By Michael Sandy

Okay....still working on this image - but I have redone the RGB data and toned down the Red. I'm not happy with the color balance, but I'm need to put it away for now. What do you think about the changes?

September 4, 2005 11:24 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Numerous Images Posted, What Do You Appreciate?

Posted By Michael Sandy

Great question Steve! Roland asked a similar question a few months ago. I like to look at other folks work and learn from it. What do I like about an image, what could be improved, how do similar images I've taken compare, what was done differently?

I also like to use this forum to post images I've taken - to get feedback. Sometimes I work on an image long enough that I can't see what needs to be done next. Suggestions and comments from this group really help in that regard. I think when someone sees an area where an image could be improved - it is much more helpful to point it out than to just say it is a great image. They can all be improved.

I belong to another list where some of the best amateurs post their work. I'm always surprised when an image that I think is remarkable gets a lot of suggestions for improvement.....and the author reposts the image in a few hours, after incorporating the comments, and the image is significantly improved. I'd really like to see this forum provide that kind of feedback.

I think the Ho-Hum adders to the titles is just a natural parts of this hobby. Objects come around once a year, and the same objects get imaged. When you are the 15th person to post an image of the Bubble Nebula in the past week, you have to say something different smile

September 5, 2005 10:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M74

Posted By Michael Sandy

Hi Brian,

A nice image! One thing you might think about is removing hot pixels while in MaxIm, looks like you had a few in your blue channel that came through. I'd also try to push your color saturation a bit. I like the image scale of that Mewlon! I think that is the next scope on my wish list.

Regards

September 5, 2005 10:42 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Stephens Quintet

Posted By Michael Sandy

Yes - that's the resolution I'd like to have available! YOur tracking is spot on, even at that fl - very nice!