New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bob Chester

August 18, 2003 11:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Spiders and Spikes

Posted By Bob Chester

Floyd,
Kenneth Novak in Ladysmith, Wi. sells 4 vane curved spiders that still mount at the usual 4 90* locations. He has no website and seems to answer the phone only weekday afternoons. I have one in my 10" dob and his 2 vane curved spiders in my 4-1/4" and 6" and am very happy with thier performance. Information can give you his phone # as I don't like posting info like that on open forums.
Hope this helps, Bob

August 21, 2003 05:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dual Axis Drive System -- Newbie HELP!!!!!!!!!

Posted By Bob Chester

Bruce,
Are you tightening the axis levers (on the mount) and the clutches on the drive after manually pointing the scope?
Bob

August 28, 2003 04:01 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars on the 27th with my ETX 90

Posted By Bob Chester

I like seeing images taken with small scopes. Thanks Steven. I think I see a webcam appearing on my wish list.I guess I need a laptop first though. Anyway, good job and keep-m-commin'.
Bob

August 28, 2003 04:58 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Imaging help

Posted By Bob Chester

Jason,
MPEGS don't really work well. The way they compress data is by recording only that which changes from the previous frame so you don't really get a whole new image on each frame. At least thats the way I understand it.
Jose Suro has been getting great images using a digicam and stacking multiple images and he is quickly approaching the results of the webcam gurus.
If you don't have Registax go download it (it's free) and try stacking multiple still images. Jose gives hope to all of us that can't afford a laptop and webcam.
Hope this helps,
Bob

September 14, 2003 10:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 8x50 Polaris Finderscope..Can you Help

Posted By Bob Chester

Richard,
I have one of those. The eyepiece you are missing is an eyepiece/illuminator port combo.It has an illuminated polar finder reticule. They attach to the diag. by way of a set screw. Teletrade may have the pieces you are missing. I bought a straight through adapter from them although I still use the finder in right angle mode. I have the mount for it which I do not use. If you find the eyepiece for it I would be happy to sell you the mount for 10 bucks, shipping included.The mount is for SCT tubes and is slightly offset so I never used it. I'm pretty sure they were made by Vixen for the quality of mine is very good.

October 16, 2003 12:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What will replace this controller?

Posted By Bob Chester

David,
It also looks identical to my CG4/EQ3 dual axis controller. I purchased my drives from Orion. Orion also uses that controller for thier True Track drive system. I'd give them a call and see if they have any returns or parts available.

Hope this helps, Bob

November 17, 2003 08:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

WANTED !

Posted By Bob Chester

Yeah, I think you needed the whole set at astronomical prices.
Minus Nimbus
Minus Cirrus
Minus Cumulus
I believe the company went out of business when governments outlawed their sale or use in drought stricken areas ;-)

February 1, 2004 02:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Source for refractor lenses?

Posted By Bob Chester

Pat,
Apogeeinc(dot com) sells a 60mm 1000mmfl lense with cell for 25 bucks. I have no idea as to it's quality but it might suit your purpose.
Bob

February 3, 2004 02:38 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

May Need a Part Made for Equitorial Mount

Posted By Bob Chester

preciseparts (dot com) may be able to help you.
Bob

March 22, 2004 05:35 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Focus Hints for digital camera astro work

Posted By Bob Chester

Alex,
I too have been searching for the 'best' method of focusing my digital camera. I use a Nikon 4500 and to date have had the most success using this method:
Step 1, focus the eyepiece to be used by eye, just as in viewing.
Step 2, set the cameras focus at infinity (the mountain symbol)
Step 3, attach camera and use the zoom, don't be affraid at this point to use the cameras digital zoom. Jose Suro has been posting some great images and he has been stacking multiple images taken at full digital zoom.
Step 4, if necessary (always in my case with my aged eyes) do a final tweaking of focus using the telescopes focuser.
Then you can back off on the zoom if needed for proper composition.
My camera has a terrible time trying to focus if I use the auto focus. I don't know if I got a bad camera or if it is a common problem in this model under low light conditions.
I have read where others use the auto focus with good results so I look foward to reading some more responses to your post.
Hope this gives you at least a starting point and good luck with your imaging.
Bob