Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

careers in astronomy/astrophysics

Started by carterfox, 05/22/2017 03:42AM
Posted 05/22/2017 03:42AM Opening Post
I am currently a senior in high school and have absolutely loved astronomy since 8th grade. I decided to major in aerospace engineering because I thought it would be more practical, but I am still much more drawn to astronomy. I would love to major in astronomy/astrophysics but fear a lack of jobs and stability. Any advice? Should I follow my dreams and see what happens or go with a more practical engineering career?
Posted 05/22/2017 04:36AM #1
Hi, Carter, this is something that I actually know something about. I'm a retired aerospace engineer/scientist. There are probably easier, more lucrative, and stable ways to make a living. But the sciences are fun, challenging, and exciting. For what it's worth, astronomer is... sigh... one of the lowest-paying Ph.D. jobs around. And far more astronomers than jobs in the field. But in aerospace, you can make very good dough hooked-up with one of the big aerospace companies. To put it honestly, need to be better than just good... their top scientists are quite uniformly outstanding. It's certainly worth considering! Tom

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos