M3 Globular Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Mounting Ring Question 6" F/12 AP

Started by lthaxton, 06/01/2003 07:18AM
Posted 06/01/2003 07:18AM Opening Post
I recently bought a 6" F/12 Superplanetary and planned to use it with a G-11 or a Parallax mount with a Losmandy dovetail adapter. I bought the Losmandy 17.25" plate with the Losmandy adapter for a 6" or 7" AP scope only to find that the hole spacing of the rings (2.8" ctc) does not fit the adapter or the Losmandy plate. Anyone have a similar problem and a solution?
Posted 06/01/2003 10:50AM #1
Larry:

I have the 14" Lasmandy male dovetail plate with 7" Parallax rings for my 6"F8. A hole had to be drilled in the center of each Parallax ring for attaching the ring to the Losmandy plate. I purchased everyting including the Giro-2 DX alt az mount, Losmandy female bracket and counter weights from ITE. I asked Bill to arrange drilling and tapping of the necessary holes to match. Price is a bit higher than buying a la carte but everything worked when they finally arrived many weeks later.

You need to find a machine shop to drill and tap the rings to match the center mounting holes of the Losmandy plate. Another alternative is to drill and counter sink the four holes on the Losmandy plate the match the holes on the rings. I think the second solution is better for you since your scope is longer and heavier than my. I'd have prefer having two screws holding each ring instead of one. Hope that helps.

Erik D

PS. You have a great scope. What kind of tripod do you plan to use? There are few few tripods tall enough for such a long tube.