NGC 1977 HaB-RGB

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Harbor Freight Monocular

Started by Lee_S, 04/03/2010 10:58AM
Posted 04/03/2010 10:58AM | Edited 04/03/2010 10:59AM Opening Post
Nobody wants to fess up. But, for the record, the little 7x monocular that I got from Harbor Freight the other day is pretty cool.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 04/03/2010 12:19PM #1
Lee Spain said:

Nobody wants to fess up. But, for the record, the little 7x monocular that I got from Harbor Freight the other day is pretty cool.

You have a link? How much?

Jon
Posted 04/04/2010 03:17AM #2
What is the Harbor Freight item number. I got on their web site but did not see any monocular listings.

I know that sometimes a low power view can help you locate an elusive object. I often use the Blue Planet opera glasses for that.

Don Durbin
Posted 04/04/2010 05:01AM | Edited 04/04/2010 05:03AM #3
Jon and Donald - I've attached a picture with a quarter thrown in for scale. It's a 7x18 monocular. I think it is sold under their "Gordon" brand name. However, it is not listed on their website. I've thrown my receipt away, but I'm sure it was no more than $12.99. It's just a tad larger than a 25mm Plossl. I'm sure it's no Zeiss, but it's convenient to have in a pocket knife kind of way. 8)

Attached Image:

Lee_S's attachment for post 136455

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 04/04/2010 08:48AM #4
Lee Spain said:

Why not? There's all kindsa cool stuff in there...I got a digital angle indicator in there to use with my Dob, and I oughta go back and buy one of there sextants (yes). wink

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 04/24/2010 09:56PM #5
I got the impression that this CStar 8X20 monocular is Russian rather than Chinese, but dunno its heritage.

I got it many years ago and it still works good as new, They are still fur sail apparently--

http://www.amazon.com/CStar-Optics-M-28C-Spy-Scope-Monocular/dp/B0007YR6BA

It is a nice daytime scope considering that it is such a tiny little cheap gadget. Difficult to imagine a practical monocular any smaller than this.

I've carried it on rare air trips for high-altitude sightseeing, and carry it on a neck strap on each trip to the firing range to observe the hits on up to 50 yard targets. Not powerful enough for my eyes to see bullet holes on 100 yard targets.

It focuses pretty sharp, and the Apparent Field of View is PERHAPS 40 or 50 degrees if the tiny eyepiece is almost touching the eyeball. At least with this design, it is easy enough to get the tiny eyepiece nearly touching the eyeball.

When shooting with goggles over the eyeglasses, and the monocular has to be a long distance from the eye-- The AFOV is tiny but it still isn't too much hassle to get the small view centered on a 50 yard target.