My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Yahoo Group gone!?

Started by williamichang, 07/18/2003 07:10PM
Posted 07/18/2003 07:10PM Opening Post
The controversy was too much???

When I did internet strategy for Infoseek back in '98, my working definition of a "brand" is "a loyal community of users". Burgess Optics has built a great "brand" of "would-be users" (!), partly by creating and pre-selling very high expectations through word-of-mouth. But that strategy carries its risks: the online community cannot be censored; any attempt to do so will likely backfire, again through word-of-mouth.

I hope these issues get resolved.

-- William

p.s. I never caught any of these "too good to be true" deals and have not purchased anything from Burgess Optics. Might like to.
Posted 07/18/2003 07:33PM #1
I just checked and both the Burgess yahoo groups are still around. Posts have definitely slowed down on the larger of the two groups, in fact both are pretty dead at the moment. The whole issue of censorship seems a bit overblown since the main issue will be resolved as soon as the scopes start shipping. I do think that a certain moderator needs to rethink his heavy handed tactics regarding blocking member postings. To Bill Burgess's credit I have seen no evidence that he is involved in attempting to control or censor either group.

Joplin