My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Autostar 497 gone banana's on LX90

Started by Mta472, 12/28/2006 12:00PM
Posted 12/28/2006 12:00PM Opening Post
Never seen anything like this.

Cord became tightly wrapped around tripod - despite the fact that I had cord wrap turned on .

Symptoms: no matter what slew speed you select, it quickly reverts to X 8. The number 3 key does not work at all, and yet if you press some onther key eg 7, you will get one, two three or even a full screen of 3's automatically. The right arrow does not work at any speed, and I have to manually tweak the OTA to the right to get it the final few minutes.

I was praying that I could clear all of these problems by a RESET on the Autostar but all of the gremlins are still there.

Any help you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Clear skies......Mike

P.S. the scope has an LNT module also
Posted 12/28/2006 03:21PM #1
wondering if the cord may have gotten damaged or the handbox it self. I know someone sells a repair kit for worn out keypads on the hand box, but just dont know if the whole thing is damaged or not.

also there is a link some where on how to build your own cable if you have the tools. if not and you know someone with the tools ask them to build it per the pin out

http://members.aol.com/kewtasheck/pinouts.html

James

Posted 12/29/2006 09:44PM #2
Hey Mike. sounds like it's time to borrow some one elses handbox and chord and see if that fixes your problem. If not then it's probably the circuit board in the scope. Sounds like the problem occoured before the chord wrap actually happened and the chord wrap was a result of the board or handbox going bad in the first place.
Posted 12/30/2006 01:25PM #3
Mike,

The thing about the threes, it sounds like the 3-button is stuck, or is putting the 3 into a buffer or something without entering it to the controller. Then when you press 7 or another button, it puts a seven, enter and all the three's go in!

I don't know if this is any help or if anything can be done to repair it. But you can test by using another hand set.

Rick

8" Zhumell Dob
90mm f11 achro refractor
4-1/2 f4 rich field newt reflector