Wanning Crescent and Venus

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Polar alignment

Started by chazd00d, 07/27/2009 12:26PM
Posted 07/27/2009 12:26PM Opening Post
I recently purchased a 12" lx200 classic. Until recently I used it in alt/az mode, however I did latch onto a meade super wedge which I installed and now I'm confused as to the polar alignment procedure.After mounting the wedge, and putting the fork on it, which way should north be? in other words should the face panel of the controller face north, or should the back of the wedge, the highest part, face north. Thanks for any help

Chuck
Posted 07/27/2009 01:41PM #1
Charles Seaman said:

I recently purchased a 12" lx200 classic. Until recently I used it in alt/az mode, however I did latch onto a meade super wedge which I installed and now I'm confused as to the polar alignment procedure.After mounting the wedge, and putting the fork on it, which way should north be? in other words should the face panel of the controller face north, or should the back of the wedge, the highest part, face north. Thanks for any help

Chuck

Lets see if I can 'splain this: The face of the wedge where the telescope mount attaches should face north. With the angle of the wedge set for your latitude this should place the RA axis pretty close to parallel with the Earth' axis. Refer to the manual for precise polar alignment to further refine the alignment. When the scope is positioned between the fork arms the front of the scope should be pointing at Polaris.

Hope I didn't confuse you. There should be some illustrations in the manual.

Gary Caldwell
botecap@comcast.net

Hope