Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Wanning Crescent and Venus

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Polar scope on a LXD650 - how does it work?

Started by jondickinson, 01/03/2007 07:19PM
Posted 01/03/2007 07:19PM Opening Post
Hello all,

Just got a LXD650 mount that included the polar alignment finder but no instructions on how to use it. I've never had a mount with one. Anybody out there familiar with such a polar finder on these mounts and can instruct me on how it works?

Thanks,
Jon
Posted 01/03/2007 08:57PM | Edited 01/03/2007 11:52PM #1
Hi Jon,
The finder is screwed into the mounting point on the mount. You must put the RA in the horizontal position so the hollow shaft aligns with the hole in it that you look through with the finder.
Yeah, the circle has tic marks (one hour) on it and Polaris is placed on the circle at the proper point (tic mark) according to the position of Polaris to the true pole.
There is a nice free program called Polor Finderscope. It can be found here http://www.practicalastronomer.com/downloads.php
It will give you a view as seen through the finder and you just put Polaris in the spot shown for the time an date. Makes it really easy and you can just print a sheet with 4 hours worth of positions for the evening.
The picture shows what the program shows you and the dark dot is where you place Polaris on the circle reticle.

Attached Image:

fblue's attachment for post 110482

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager