Updating software on LX200GPS

Started by tschonis, 12/30/2002 08:55PM
Posted 12/30/2002 08:55PM Opening Post
I baught my LX200GPS last August. The scope runs using firmware Version 1.2a. If I remember right, many people who baught thier scopes back in August immediately updated thier scopes to a new version because Version 1.2a had some minor problems. There have been some little bugs that ail my scope every once and a whole, and they are software problems. Should I update my software? What will the most current firmware version have that 1.2a doesn't?

Thanks,
Taylor
Posted 01/20/2003 05:23AM #1
Taylor,
It is worth updating your soft ware to v1.4g. The number of problems that the later version solves are too numerous to describe here. The latest version has some bugs but none are as catastrophic as the earlier versions, like unexplained runaways into the hard stops etc. If you continue to use the older version do not set up the scope and go inside or even get out of arms reach of the power switch. As a mater of fact I wouldn’t leave the scope alone during a set up even with the later versions. Join the Yahoo LX200GPS user group. Go to the files section and get the firmware download-upload checklist. Also read all of the back messages that you can stand. It may take about 30-40 hours depending on the speed of your connection. I know, I read almost all of them and lurked for months. After a little while you will get the hang of who knows what they are talking about. Doc Clay is one. Those are the folks whose posts you want to read. Believe me if you have a question, some one has already asked it. Doc Clay of the Arkansas Sky Observatory does a lot of good work at the Yahoo site. He also has a great web site with all kinds of helpful info for the LX200GPS scopes AND MUCH MORE. Also go to the MAPUG web site and read every thing that remotely looks interesting. Do a google search to find them. The information is out there but it takes a ton of reading. The three sites I have given you will save you a lot of searching.
Hang in there!