Lightning in the desert

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Sex as Astromart marketing

Started by pkelly, 09/03/2009 09:03AM
Posted 09/03/2009 09:03AM | Edited 09/03/2009 09:09AM Opening Post
As a long time $$ Astromart/Herb York and Co devotee (I/we wouldn't be where we are with a BIG refractor/personal observatory if it weren't for your efforts...WE owe it all to You...I've even considered your name on a plaque with other contributors ), I deleted a previous post to get to the point.

My old-school Dad expounded that any bar/tavern/commercial establishment wishing to attract business would stoop to the lowest common denominator...i.e. sex and gals...to attract customers as an act of desperation. As a weak-minded fella with a simple-minded reptilian brain (as my female Army/Comm-trained co-worker humorously puts it and we get some chuckles for male vs female 'wiring") I fall prey to this and click on the pics but understand the underling biological disposition.

So I ask...is this REALLY the lengths Astromart has to go to remain viable? From a guy perspective I hafta admit its kinda fun and instantly vicarious but at the same time simultaneously so "yesterday", primitive and desperate. I get the same feeling when I peruse Maxim magazine. Of course, I could choose NOT to click the ads and feel good about myself and self righteous, but that's not the point. I care most about the Astomart community and where it's taken us.

So there it is; the needs of the many (Astromart community) outweigh the needs of the few or one...just me. But just something I felt compelled to get off my chest today.

By the way...I'm looking for some duplicate planetary eps for my binoviewer so keep those ads coming... smile And biology/marketing science tells me I have the tendency to click the girly-ads whether I have Auction ads to pace or not.

8" f/12 D&G classic refractor
Astro-Physics 1200 DA equatorial mount
BlueStar Observatory (roll off) by Backyard Observatories of Lodi, Ohio
Previous telescopes A-Z...Astro-Physics to Zeiss
Posted 09/03/2009 09:44AM #1
Sounds like a lot of rationalization/justification just to say "can we stop using pretty girls as a marketing tool?" smile

I disagree BTW smile

Patrick Kelly said:

As a long time $$ Astromart/Herb York and Co devotee (I/we wouldn't be where we are with a BIG refractor/personal observatory if it weren't for your efforts...WE owe it all to You...I've even considered your name on a plaque with other contributors ), I deleted a previous post to get to the point.

My old-school Dad expounded that any bar/tavern/commercial establishment wishing to attract business would stoop to the lowest common denominator...i.e. sex and gals...to attract customers as an act of desperation. As a weak-minded fella with a simple-minded reptilian brain (as my female Army/Comm-trained co-worker humorously puts it and we get some chuckles for male vs female 'wiring") I fall prey to this and click on the pics but understand the underling biological disposition.

So I ask...is this REALLY the lengths Astromart has to go to remain viable? From a guy perspective I hafta admit its kinda fun and instantly vicarious but at the same time simultaneously so "yesterday", primitive and desperate. I get the same feeling when I peruse Maxim magazine. Of course, I could choose NOT to click the ads and feel good about myself and self righteous, but that's not the point. I care most about the Astomart community and where it's taken us.

So there it is; the needs of the many (Astromart community) outweigh the needs of the few or one...just me. But just something I felt compelled to get off my chest today.

By the way...I'm looking for some duplicate planetary eps for my binoviewer so keep those ads coming... smile And biology/marketing science tells me I have the tendency to click the girly-ads whether I have Auction ads to pace or not.

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Monroe GA