NGC7293 Helix Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nigerian Scam Artists?

Started by muggleborn77, 02/05/2006 03:49AM
Posted 02/05/2006 03:49AM Opening Post
Anybody on Astromart have experience with getting emails from folks claiming to be in Nigeria requesting that items be shipped to them? I know this type of scam is a big-time occurance on sites like the big auction site and craigslist and it looks like Astromart has been invaded as well

Check out this email -

"Hello Seller,

I am very much interested in this game and I will love to buy it. I am a US citizen but I schooled at Unversity of ibadan in Nigeria, am 19 yrs of age. my Uncle will pay for me using his paypal account, will you ship for me plz? I will prefer either you use ems, ups, fedex or dhl for the shipping. plz let me know the total ammount including the shipping to Ibadan city in NIgeria, then I will call my brother to pay for me.
I will be waiting for your response."

This "buyer" is not even sure if he wants his Uncle or his brother to pay and he just signed up on Astromart the day I posted the ad! Smells real fishy to me and wanted to know if anyone else has any such experience...
Posted 02/05/2006 04:58AM #1

Vijai,

I just received two of these e-mails today (Feb 4, 2006)for my items listed. It's a scam, pure and simple. I've forwarded off to [email protected], but there's not much they can do except toast the account it was sent from. Then the scammers will just open another account and start again.

Sad, but that's the way it goes. I appreciate the fact that someone posted saying they received this kind of e-mail (it's not just me!). Let's keep our eyes and ears open and hopefully they'll get the hint and leave.

Clear skies ,

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
Canada

Vijai Krishnan said:

Anybody on Astromart have experience with getting emails from folks claiming to be in Nigeria requesting that items be shipped to them? I know this type of scam is a big-time occurance on sites like the big auction site and craigslist and it looks like Astromart has been invaded as well

Check out this email -

"Hello Seller,

I am very much interested in this game and I will love to buy it. I am a US citizen but I schooled at Unversity of ibadan in Nigeria, am 19 yrs of age. my Uncle will pay for me using his paypal account, will you ship for me plz? I will prefer either you use ems, ups, fedex or dhl for the shipping. plz let me know the total ammount including the shipping to Ibadan city in NIgeria, then I will call my brother to pay for me.
I will be waiting for your response."

This "buyer" is not even sure if he wants his Uncle or his brother to pay and he just signed up on Astromart the day I posted the ad! Smells real fishy to me and wanted to know if anyone else has any such experience...