Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Hesitant to ask, but here goes....

Started by jke47348, 09/01/2004 03:09PM
Posted 09/01/2004 03:09PM Opening Post
I've been a lurker here for about two months, and have been a little hesitant to ask this question at the risk of starting another flamewar, but finally decided t risk it.

I've been thinking very hard about purchasing a Binoviewer for my 8" SCT (Celestron) which is still equipped with the 1.25 inch visual back (yeah, I really need to fix that, but we all know the problem you get with clearance on the 2 inch diagonals with the Nexstars).

Unfortunately, I am a glasses-wearer. My right eye (dominant) has very mild near-sightedness and some mild astigmatism. My left eye is spherical with mild near-sightedness. When I observe ("cyclops" mode), I typically take off my glasses, but the slight astigmatism in my right eye is noticeable on extremely faint objects (and on extremely bright objects, like the moon). Although I've tried to train myself to use my left eye for viewing, it seems very unnatural, even though I am able to pick out details on dim objects better.

A friend recommended binoviewers as a way to "trick" my brain into seeing more detail. I often leave my glasses off around the home or office, and don't have any problems seeing stereoscopically for things that are nearer than 50 feet.

So here's the question. Do you think that binoviewers will be helpful to me? What are some of the limitations to binoviewers? And of course, which binoviewers and EPs do you recommend for someone on a budget? (I know, why did I get into astronomy if I'm on a budget. My wife keeps asking the same thing.)

From what I have been able to glean the Denkmeiers appear to be most peoples favorite, although they are a little more expensive than the Black Knights. But there appears to be some controversy over the Black Knights. Which would you recommend/not recommend and why?

Clear Skies,
Joe

Clear Skies,
Joe

Nexstar 8i
6" f/8 Dob
Orion ST80
Binos: 7x35, 10x50, 11x70
Posted 09/01/2004 04:04PM #1
Joe, like you I've been hanging out here and just enjoying the fireworks wink I got into binoviewing to minimize artifacts from lens implants. It works, too. Sounds like you'll need the individual focusers whichever way you elect to go. I've got a Black Knight with a pair of 24mm eyepieces from Harry S. that I use with a Celestron Ultima SCT.
The views are impressive.

Mark Rice
Keep it dark, or at least keep it quiet. wink
Ultima 2000... and other things
Posted 09/01/2004 05:55PM #2
Hi Joe, You've already received the best advice. Get thee out to a star party and look for yourself. Only you can judge what a binoviewer will do for your own optical situation. I have astigmatism in both eyes (worse in the right) and rather large floaters in both. I can tell you that a binoviewer helps greatly to counteract the effects of the floaters. In order to deal with the astigmatism, I have long eye relief eyepieces (Radians, 18, 14 and 10) allowing me to keep the glasses on - works for me. I own two binoviewers, BW Optic and Denk IIs. Both help equally with my optical defects. With your eyes being a bit different, I would suggest getting a unit with individual focus adjustments. Enjoy the sky! 8) Steve
Posted 09/01/2004 06:09PM #3
Thanks all. I'm headed out to the Illinois Dark Skys Star Party in a couple weeks. I'll see if I can get a look through someone's binos there.

As an aside, anyone know if there are going to be any vendors at this event that will let me "test drive" a pair of binoviewers in my scope?

Clear Skies,
Joe

Clear Skies,
Joe

Nexstar 8i
6" f/8 Dob
Orion ST80
Binos: 7x35, 10x50, 11x70