New Bino Blues?

Started by glen scott, 01/14/2004 04:14AM
Posted 01/14/2004 04:14AM Opening Post
I have been following a thread on the Burgess Optical forum which has been discussing the immediate resale of telescopes that people have recently aquired. The same phenomena is occurring in our area of the astronomy hobby. In following the new
Astromart Binoviewer Classifieds there have been a large number of recently purchased binos for sale and at a not an inconsiderable
loss to the original purchaser. Many of these binos have been owned for less than 2 months. That is barely enough time to get some setups sorted out and begin enjoying using two eyes. Over $200.00 dollars on average is the differential between original cost and subsequent resale.
The joys of binoviewing may have been over-hyped in these people estimation and they may feel that the benefits are outweighed by the costs they incurred or they may be liquidating equipment to pay post xmas bills. What ever the reason it is a disturbing trend.
It implies that we are loosing as many people as we appear to be gaining for this part of the hobby. Clear Skies, Scotty
Posted 01/14/2004 11:54AM #1
Of the ones in the current ads, the TV's are offered at 59% and 66% of new retail value. The 3 Denk stds are offered at 70%, 70% and 74% of retail. Haven't gone through the archives to check those. That's good for the seller and the buyer. Picking up a nice set of TV's or Denk stds for $400-$500 is a nice option. Espescially with the customer support that you get from either company. I bought my Denk stds used and sent them to Russ for a checkup. He returned them with new ep holders and had cleaned and collimated them. Cost me shipping. Takes the risk out of buying used.

Not sure what data you are using to determine how many we are gaining. Based on the number of folks on the Cloudy Nights Forum that have given first light reports recently, I'd say binoviewing is alive and well. I have at least 5 people I know of personally that are seriously considering a purchase.

I think it's a stretch to go into these folks minds and assume why they sold their equipment. I can say for certain that the guy I bought my Denks from did not like binoviewing. Another nice fellow I loaned my Denks stds to liked binoviewing, but did not care for the cost or the logistics that the extra weight caused. The guy I bought my TV's from had bought the Denk II's. Can't speak for anyone else. They are more than a few folks that are buying binoviewers after using mine or reading about them here on the groups.

I don't think there is excessive hype, just honest assessments of a wonderful new way to look at stuff. The package can get quite expensive. They may cause you to feel like barfing. But when they work, they are better than any $600 uber ep out there.

Clear skies,

TOm
Posted 01/14/2004 05:06PM #2
Used quality equipment almost always sells between 60% and 80% of new retail, depending to some extent on if the new product has been upgraded or is still the same. Not-so-quality equipment usually sells at less than 50%, and stuff you can't get (like some APOs people insist on spending $$$$ on) may sell for more than "retail." Binoviewers are no different.