anyone had their 12" lx200 stolen? it's for sale!

Started by toml, 01/29/2003 01:07AM
Posted 01/29/2003 01:07AM Opening Post
there is a super suspicious 12" lx200 for sale on ebay. i asked the guy for some technical info, like "focal ratio". he just keeps nastily diverting questions. saying "it's like new with some water spots that's why its cheap..no i don't have any pix take it or leav it."
"i think i will rechrome the legs and wipe up the mirror myself charge an extra $1000 if you ask any more questions"

but rechoming a spot on the legs has nothing to do with astronomy!? I was asking about what the condition of the optics were...he said the thing was left out in the rain, that's why it's got "optical blemishes on the leg and tube" ... i think he means "cosmetic" not "optical"...basically he didn't use any correct or even approximately right astronomical jargon in describing "his" scope which leads me to suspect it's hot. plus he won't post any pics nor does he know anything about it really, but he says, "ask meade if you have any questions".

So basically, I wanted you guys to know that I think it's stolen, in case anyone needs to try to track their scope down...it might be there.

Posted 01/29/2003 01:32AM #1
Back around christmas time, someone posted here that a 12" LX-200 was stolen. I believe it was from a university somewhere in Scandinavia

OK... here is the thread:

http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=32023&page=

Look at the photo - it certainly looks like one that could be cleaned up. You should immediately contact this person and send him the URL of the auction on ebay.

It definitely sounds suspicious!

Posted 01/29/2003 02:22AM #2
Maybe just a fellow that doesn't know much about what he has, or someone who bought the telescope for resale, etc.

I wouldn't say that it's outwardly suspicious, though he does seem like a jerk with his policies.

By description it doesn't sound like the one stolen from the University.
Posted 01/29/2003 01:12PM #3
A Ferengi, known throughout the universe for their honest business dealings. Sorry Star Trek Deep Space 9 fans.

What's in a name? Caveat emptor!

Seller (rating) ferrengi(44
Posted 01/30/2003 02:18AM #4
Haha! He "updated" his listing...no he didn't reduce the price...or maybe he did, but then he hiked it back up again if so...(maybe he "cleaned" the mirror himself with a plastic wire like he told me he would). but I love his update...it's even more beligerent than before. okay, i'll look on astromart from now on...that'll teach me!

cya guys out there.

TomL