Sun on June 20th

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Broadband nebular filters?

Started by tomdisco, 04/24/2003 11:16AM
Posted 04/24/2003 11:16AM Opening Post
Before I go purchase one of these for my SCT I would like to get some Astromart opinions on their effectiveness. I am not that close to sodium street lamps but live in a subrban area of a city in the southeast. General city glow is very prevalent. We can not usually see the Milky Way here with the naked eye!

Do these broadband filters really work as advertised?
Posted 04/24/2003 03:50PM #1
I had a Celestron LPR filter and I didn't think it did any good on anything. However, performance does depend on the type and proximity of light to you observing location, for me it was apparently not the right match. You can always buy one used, they come up a lot on Astromart, and sell it if it didn't help smile
Posted 04/24/2003 07:45PM #2
Hi James,

I think the general impression is that the broadband filters are not selective enough, the OIII filters are too selective (but useful under some circumstances), and the narrowband filters are the best compromise and most useful. I have Orion broadband and Meade narrowband SCT filters as well as Lumicon UHC and OIII filters. My general impression of them all agrees with what I said above - the narrowband or UHC filters are most used.

John
Posted 04/25/2003 06:21AM #3
I live in a the heart of a city with population 40,000. I have the Orion Skyglow.... It increased M42 by about a third. I have an 8 inch dob... I just received the Orion Ultrablock and will be trying out tonight..

Mark V
Posted 04/25/2003 06:54PM #4
Thanks for the input on this thread. I have gathered that for my purposes the narrowband filter is the way to go for nebulae and star clusters but not to expect any real improvement on galaxies.