Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Celestron 9 x 50 Finderscope

Started by astroboy314, 12/09/2002 11:45PM
Posted 12/09/2002 11:45PM Opening Post
I'm new to this site so I'm a little overanxious to finally get out all my questions... You'll all have to bare with me 'cause my name might be popping up a bunch.
People don't seem to be too excited about the Celestron 9x50 finderscope... I have the 6x30 and was just about to order the 9x50, but now I'm not so sure. Is it worth it? Are there better finderscopes out there?
Posted 12/10/2002 04:03AM #1
Gee, I don't know that there's anything particularly wrong with it. Over the last few years I have replaced all the finderscopes on my telescopes with 50mm scopes or larger, and have bought examples of most of the brands out there (Celestron, Meade, Antares, Orion, the late Lumicon). Whatever you buy, you won't regret going up from 6X30. But I wouldn't say that any of the under-$200 finders out there are exactly sterling examples of the opticians' art. It may not be optically the best, but right now I find it easiest to use Orion's 50mm "correct image" finder scope, both because of the 'right-way-around ' image and the spring-loaded mount, which is easy to adjust. Also, though the purists decry them, my back and neck cast emphatic votes for finders with star diagonals.