Image of the day

Captured by
mikhail vasilenko

NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Celestron's web page (SATURN OPPOSITION)

Started by chris brown, 11/30/2003 05:59AM
Posted 11/30/2003 05:59AM Opening Post
Has anyone else read the "Saturn Opposition" link on Celestron's home page? What concerns me are the claims for thier Nextar 60 GT, where they show a "simulated" image of Saturn at 175x with the 60GT using the supplied 4mm ocular.
The image shows the Cassini division clearly, along with definite banding on the ball itself. I'm no newbee, but my old Meade #285 refractor (60mm, f/15) just won't show me the cassini, and I aligned it's optics with a laser collimator! My ETX-90 has no problem with these tasks, but it's a stretch for my 60mm. Furthermore, the max mag I can realistically use on this 1980's 2.4 inch telescope is around 128.5x (7mm celestron/vixen ortho) Is Celestron selling a magic 60mm/f12 telescope, or is the supplied 4mm eyepiece exceptional? I feel that either I am in for a big surprise at this year's Saturn opposition, or Celestron is pushing thier outdated inventory! Chris Brown

There's something on the Moon! 8O
Posted 11/30/2003 06:29AM #1
I can't speak for the 60GT, but I can say that the simulated image shown on the website appears reasonably accurate, as far as my old f/13.3 Jason (Tasco) goes. Cassini is definitely visible along the ansae, if only as a contrast feature, as is the Equatorial Band.

The next several nights in my neck of the woods are expected to be mild and mostly clear. I will try and see how the Jason handles magnifications in the ~160-200 range (including its original SR4mm eyepiece). Tonight's fairly hazy, and the seeing isn't very good. Perhaps tomorrow night will be better.

Best wishes.
-Dan