Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

CG5 Advanced Series for 127mm f/8 Achromat

Started by tomhole, 07/09/2003 03:08AM
Posted 07/09/2003 03:08AM Opening Post
I need a mount for a 13 lbs, 127mm, f/8 refractor (Burgess 1278). With accessories (rings, finder, binoviewers) probably looking at 16 lbs and 39 inches.

Some obserivng habits:

1. Visual only
2. I move around a lot in my driveway, street and neighbor's driveways to see the different parts of the sky
3. Tracking is highly desired, but I'd like the ability to go manual for cruising
4. goto/dsc not required, but would like the option to add it
5. I have never owned nor operated anything but a dob

I am leaning towards the CG5 Advanced with single axis drive. Atlas is too heavy. Vixen/Losmandy too expensive. Gibraltar is very nice, but won't track. Apogee HD is in the running, but quality is unknown. I have no idea what to expect, just don't want wobbly.

I was also looking at some surveyor tripods to replace the Apogee HD tripod. Is that a good route?

Pls help a dob guy make it in the world of eq mounts.

Clear skies,

Tom
Posted 07/09/2003 06:02AM #1
If the Atlas/EQ-6 is too heavy, why not consider it's smaller brother - the HEQ-5? The CG-5 is actually an EQ-4 and while it would be suitable, you could always do better smile Apogee's H.D. is the same as the CG-5, I believe.

If you want about as good a catalog of chinese mounts (and telescopes) as you could ever hope to find, check skywatchertelescope.com.
Posted 07/09/2003 09:04AM #2
Tom, from one old retired Navy man to another younger Navy man, consider the TAL-2M mount. I currently use it with my TAL-100 4" and will aldo use with my 1278 when it arrives.

Walt

Attached Image:

Walter's attachment for post 69015
Posted 07/09/2003 01:12PM #3
Pernel,

Good info. Does Apogee (or anyone) sell drives that fit the HD?

Tom
Posted 07/11/2003 02:44AM #4
Everyone,

Many thanks for the advise and recommendations. I have ended up ordering a custom eq mount from John Davis (you can get more info on this mount in the Yahoo group scopemounts). The darn thing looks like a tank and John seems like a right nice fellow. Price is right at $350 with an RA drive and he thiks he can make me a full Meade Autostar mount for $500 (doesn't include tripod, still haven't decided on the pier vs tripod issue). He said it will hold up to 30 lbs for photographic work. THat should suffice for a 1278.

Might have to get an Apogee HD just to tide me over.

Clear skies,

Tom

Attached Image:

tomhole's attachment for post 69050