Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC6946 Fireworks Galaxy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Creative Persons Needed #2

Started by 2dogs7, 01/20/2003 11:54PM
Posted 01/20/2003 11:54PM Opening Post
With all the light amplication technology (night vision) available, my question is this: Can we adapt this to a telescope and increase the magnitude available? I understand that we would probably have to filter out unwanted spectrums. This should not be that hard. Any comments..This is not within my field of expertise.
Posted 01/21/2003 01:42AM #1
I have tried this using a 1st generation night vision monocular. I got a model on e*** that had a c-mount lens on the objective end. I used a c-t mount adaptor (from Orion telescope) to put the monocular in the diagonal in place of a standard eyepiece. I was rather disappointed at the result. While it did increase the depth magnitude of stars visible, it was rather usless for DSO. It is possible the model of night vision monocular I have is inadequate for the task. However, my impression was that the absolute gain increased a fair amount (thus seeing dimmer stars) but the overall signal to noise did NOT change enough (if at all) to increase the contrast of DSO against the brightened background sky.

Another variable in my attempt is that I have suburban skyglow with which to contend. This may be, at least in part, why my background sky became so bright with the above set-up. I will test the rig out again next time I am at a dark site, but I am not optomistic.

I think the I3 Colins eyepiece referenced in the above post is actually a 3rd generation night vision device, but I am not 100% sure on that. If you have success let us all know.

John

John Theodossy
http://geocities.com/myastrostuff/