Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Feedback on Siebert Optical eyepieces?

Started by rcordell, 07/10/2002 08:03AM
Posted 07/10/2002 08:03AM Opening Post
Anybody have feedback on the Siebert Optical line of eyepieces? I would like general feedback but specific feedback on this model would be great: EP125-35 1.25", 35mm, 50 deg. FOV, eye relief 24mm, $69.00

http://www.siebertoptics.com/index.html

Randy
Posted 07/10/2002 09:44PM #1
Randy- Go to www.cloudynights.com.. The person reviewing them seemed to be impressed
Posted 07/11/2002 01:31AM #2
I don't know about that particular one, but I have the 7mm, 10mm & 21mm. Overall I'd say they're a good value. The 10mm I got was perfect and prompted me to order the 7mm. The 7mm is good but not perfect, there's a couple of tiny field defects in the lens, looks like microscopic chips or dirt inside or something -- only apparent when looking at a vast bright expanse like the lunar surface. But sharpness and contrast are good and the huge FOV and good eye relief makes them great for me. The 7mm & 10mm are my planetary "workhorse" eyepieces. The 21mm, which I got second-hand, is good too but in this range I prefer my Rini 25mm modified Ortho, even though it's optically inferior, for viewing comfort reasons (bigger eye lens in relation to barrel size)and the fact that it's FOV is even bigger. Filter behavior is annoying at first. Barrels are narrower than most EPs, good if you have a tight focuser barrel, but feels "sloppy" if you focuser is a little on the big side.