Foam Lining for Equipment Bag

Started by dherkes, 08/22/2017 03:23PM
Posted 08/22/2017 03:23PM Opening Post
I would like to re-purpose a redundant semi rigid sided travel bag. The bag is 20" x 14" x 8" and has a large zippered opening. My GEM will fit in it perfectly. In order to use the case I must pad it such that the mount will not move or shift. I have three options that meet my criteria for ease of construction and affordability:

--Lining the case with sheets of 2" upholstery foam and building the layers up with the outline of the mount in each layer.

--Carefully wrapping the mount in plastic bubble wrap, then filling the case with binary polyurethane foam. After it sets, carefully cutting the embedded mount away.

--Purchasing the sheets of gray pluck and pull foam. This option could be relatively expensive, but has the advantage of little extra work.

Has anyone any experiences they could share?
Posted 08/25/2017 09:19AM #1
I've had good success using the firm charcoal foam from these guys. I believe it is firmer and more supportive than most upholstery foams.

Foam Factory aka foambymail dot com.

I have had a Vixen SXD Sphinx mount and counter weights is a Storm case using this foam 5 or 6 years now with no signs of deformation at all.

So my vote would be for option one.

Bob

Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX binocs
Tak FS-78 ƒ/8.1 - 630mm fl.
6" ƒ/6.5 homeground newt. - 981mm fl.
10" ƒ/4.85 homeground dob. - 1231mm fl.