Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

GEM for TEC 160 ED (visual-only)?

Started by Dave Badrick, 06/20/2010 04:35AM
Posted 06/20/2010 04:35AM Opening Post
I'm interested in advice on what constitutes a suitable mount for a TEC 160 ED refractor which I expect to have delivered this summer.

The specs for the scope are;
160/1280 f8
Weight 26 lbs
Length 45.5 inches (transportation)
Diameter 6.42 inches

I'm a visual-only observer. I have zero interest in doing my own imaging (though I love to look at others' work). However, I already spend 60+ hours per week on a computer for my job, so...

My preference is for planetary, double star and lunar observation.

I have a TEC turret which I load with TMB Supermonos, Pentax XWs, or Naglers. I also have a standard Denk binoviewer, so there are a serious couple of pounds at the end of the scope.

I don't want to get something too small. I certainly wouldn't be happy having the mount jitter while following a binary at high power. Nor do I want to spend money for a mount that is designed to be rock-solid for imaging.

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Regards,
Dave
Posted 06/20/2010 10:24PM #1
G11

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" 8O
Posted 06/21/2010 01:43AM #2
Hi Dave,
If your budget allows it, I'd go with an AP900 on an ATS 48" pier. Hard to beat the combination. If you want something a little more portable, then you could go with an AP Mach1 on either a G11 or Tak Heavy Duty Metal tripod (IMO, the AP wood tripod isn't enough, and the Eagle Pier is too short for visual).
Best Regards,
Kurt

Attached Image:

mihalco's attachment for post 137440
Posted 06/21/2010 04:06AM | Edited 06/21/2010 04:10AM #3
It's an easy load for a G11, Mach 1, certainly an AP900.

Tripod possibilities include Berlebach (better than AP I think), AP, and the Losmandy HD tripod and also the Losmandy FOLDING tripod which is a sweet deal I think.

I use a 42" ATS pier for my C14 and it's a nice thing too.

Although I *could* use the AP900 for my FS128, I ended up using the refractor with the G11. It's extremely solid, and the G11 is *an easier set up.* At least it is for me. My 900 QMD is harder to set up than a G11 because:

1. The altitude adjustment is not very ergonomic (still isn't on the go-to versions, kind of a wrist bender. The Mach 1 solves this problem by using G11 placement style on the altitude knob.

2. On the QMD version, it's a hassle using the polar scope because you have to take off the encoder cup to put on the polar scope and then take off the polar scope to put the encoder cup back on. Not sure how current generation handles that, but I'm sure it's better. Worth asking though. The G11 setup lets the polar scope reside permanently in the mount, the encoders are elsewhere.

3. setting up the G11 on the Berlebach tripod is easier than setting up the AP900QMD on the ATS.

4. The 900 (old and new) both have, compared to a g11, a humongo dec counterweight shaft which is awkward to use and thread in. Haven't checked out the Mach 1 from this perspective.

In any case: Any of these combinations are going to work well and look beautiful.

Greg N

Attached Image:

gnowell's attachment for post 137441

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin
Posted 06/22/2010 03:11PM #4
David Badrick said:

I'm interested in advice on what constitutes a suitable mount for a TEC 160 ED refractor which I expect to have delivered this summer.

I'd suggest you consider adding some kind of height adjustment to your visual-only setup, or get an extra-tall pier. Twenty inches of height adjustment is plenty, and your neck will thank you. It's easy to do in an observatory, not so much for portable gear.

Attached Image:

JJM's attachment for post 137460

Jim McSheehy