Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Opinions please

Started by 2dogs7, 01/19/2003 09:52AM
Posted 01/19/2003 09:52AM Opening Post
My dilema, I had a stroke not too long ago and it has affected my vision somewhat. This is not fun as I love to spend entire nights observing objects trying to determine the smallest detail possible. I am considering selling/trading my conventional scopes and building/purchasing a big bino-scope. However I also have another idea. I could build a big newt. and replace the secondary with a video camera. I could then transmit the immage to a TV or computer screen. Which do you think would be better? How good is the resolution of good video comeras today? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Posted 01/19/2003 10:25AM #1
Tim, what scopes do you have right now? Some may work extremely well with a binoviewer, IMHO much more user-friendly (and cheaper) than a "big" binoscope.

You're on the right track - with two eyes, a lot of the issues you have as a cyclops will be "calculated" out of the picture by the brain!
Posted 01/19/2003 03:58PM #2
Hi Tim. I could think of a couple points to your video idea. Video is limited by the short exposure times required by a frame rate. Most frame rates are too short to pick up much detail at all in deep sky objects in anything sort of resembling real time. Now there are a few 'integrating' video cameras out there...these cameras can add several frames together to make one frame, or are adjustable to allow as long of an exposure for each frame as you like. You get a slower, 'choppier' video appearance, but a lot more detail can be shown. I'm not too familiar with the actual ease of use of such cameras (the front runner of which would have to be IMHO the SBIG STV), but I imagine its rather simple compared to the dedicated imaging ccd's. You wouldn't need to replace the secondary with the camera, just have a good focuser setup to allow the chip to come to focus (a fair bit more infocus than a normal eyepiece). A low f/ratio will give a lot more detail for the same frame rate.
I personally think you would be happier with a decent binoscope over such a video setup, but then again, I can't see through your eyes. Best of Luck to you (and by the way thanks for the Tak smile )
Andy Riehl