Replacement Scope?

Started by hughbartlett, 06/04/2006 07:28PM
Posted 06/04/2006 07:28PM Opening Post
Here is a hypothetical question: Suppose you suddenly lost your entire collection of telescopes (e.g., in a fire). You know you had $10K invested in astro-equipment, but the insurance company would only give you $5,000. You decide to buy one quality replacement scope which would be able to give you several years of enjoyment. What would you get?

I know it depends on a lot of variables, but let's say you enjoy observing all types of objects, and have no physical limitations lifting, storing, or transporting your scope to a dark sky location. Three options came to mind for me (a 5" Apo, an 11" GPS SCT, and a 15" Truss Dob on a tracking platform), but I have no idea what I'd actually get if confronted with the decision. So just for fun, what would you do, and why?

Hugh Bartlett

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 06/04/2006 07:36PM #1
I would get the 15" on the platform. Why? Becuase it would suit my personal needs best. I do not do photography and am a visual astronomer.
smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 06/04/2006 08:55PM #2
I would pick another 15" Obsession, with OMI optics.

Chas
Posted 06/04/2006 09:01PM #3
I would get a 14.5" Starmaster/Zambuto with a Round Table Platform with some Pentax eyepieces. $3000 for the scope (used). $658 for the Round Table. $550 for the Sky Commander. $350 for the Feather touch focuser. (the last 3 have delivery costs figured in). That only leaves about $400 for the eyepieces, but I could get by with that for awhile.

(just for the record, the Feathertouch is a future purchase/gift, I just sent in the check for the Round Table yesterday smile )

Michael