stolen eyepieces

Started by DobbyD, 09/04/2006 07:44AM
Posted 09/04/2006 07:44AM Opening Post
Guys,I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not,but I had to talk to someone that would know exactly how I feel right now.I finally got a really good night for viewing tonight without the fog and haze and sweat running in my eyes.I had a couple scopes set up and was letting the mirrors reach the right temperature and walked inside for maybe 5 minutes to get a coke and a candy bar,my eyepiece case was sitting on my stool airing out also.I heard a loud vehicle on the road and it stopped and a door slammed soon after.The vehicle took off faster and louder than before and I really did'nt think much about it because theres a lot of houses around me,I thought a neighbor had a visitor.When I went back out I thought I'd put in a 9mm in my 6" dob.I almost cried,my entire case of eyepieces were gone except for the 2 I already had in my scopes.Although they were not high end eyepieces,they were what I could buy without affecting the family budget.I added an eyepiece every so often ,there was about $300.00 worth of my pride and joy stolen in a matter of seconds.So I guess back to the drawing board-maybe!I'm just so disgusted,I've never had anything that I was more happy with as a hobby except playing guitar.Sorry guys,I needed a shoulder to cry on,someone who would really understand how bad I feel.Clear skies everyone, Darrell
Posted 09/04/2006 04:56PM | Edited 09/04/2006 05:25PM #1
Hi Darell,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope that the local club has EPs you can borrow for a while. In our club we have a couple of sets of EPs for use by members.
To me this sounds like a theft with knowledge. The reason? I think that many people would not know what the EPs were or their value.
Myself, I would check on anyone that had been around when you were viewing before, someone that you possible shared a view with that you did not know that well.
Also kids are a possibility, but driving a car or truck indicates they are 18 or older to me.
Local pawn shops are the likely target to sell them. If there are other towns close by, then they will probably go there. Drug dealers are not likely to want to trade drugs for EPs, so if this is the case they need to turn them into money. You do have to be 18 or older in most states to pawn things.
The "OTHER SITE" is still a possiblity, I would watch it anyway.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager