My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Telescope equipment rental

Started by MTCAWO, 01/03/2017 11:26PM
Posted 01/03/2017 11:26PM Opening Post
Hello everyone
Would like to gauge the temperature of the amateur astronomer community about the ability of renting telescopes and equipment. I am working through the logistics, insurance, method of payment and the possible terms for the renter, but I am looking at renting some specific scopes as well as eyepieces, (All Naglers and Ethos) video equipment (Mallincam, and Stellicam)as well as the following scopes: W.O. 110, 127, GTF-81, GTF-71,127. Larger sizes on request. I would also be adding a TEC 140 and a AP 130GT. Rental would be for a week. Looking at prices around $25.00 a week for the Naglers and Ethos and $100.00 and up for the scopes for a week. Renter would pay shipping both ways as well as insurance. Just in the infancy stage, but would ask for all input moving forward. Have all of this equipment, so might as well put it to good usage. If someone was considering one of the focal lengths, this would give them the idea of weight, size and what they could see. If this starts to slowly grow, I plan on offering a mount or 2, as well as expanding into other manufactures. For right now, I am staying with refractors only.
Thanks
Tony
Posted 01/04/2017 03:26AM #1
Hi, Tony, Seems your major competition would be local, established astronomy clubs, many/most lend equip to members, token fee, and very negotiable terms. The hobby is regionally, on average, pretty dilute. So, the total business would likely be sparse. Closest analogy that I am familiar with is musical instruments e.g. my daughter's oboe before buying one ($5000). But, even there, the local schools and music shops collaborate... so customers are known locals referred by teachers/established musicians. I would put quality scopes and instruments in similar category... costly and needing care. Yet, it is rather regrettable that the average Ethos probably gets looked thru a couple hours a year?! Tom

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 01/04/2017 06:57AM #2
Anthony Orzechowski said:

Hello everyone
Would like to gauge the temperature of the amateur astronomer community about the ability of renting telescopes and equipment. I am working through the logistics, insurance, method of payment and the possible terms for the renter, but I am looking at renting some specific scopes as well as eyepieces, (All Naglers and Ethos) video equipment (Mallincam, and Stellicam)as well as the following scopes: W.O. 110, 127, GTF-81, GTF-71,127. Larger sizes on request. I would also be adding a TEC 140 and a AP 130GT. Rental would be for a week. Looking at prices around $25.00 a week for the Naglers and Ethos and $100.00 and up for the scopes for a week. Renter would pay shipping both ways as well as insurance. Just in the infancy stage, but would ask for all input moving forward. Have all of this equipment, so might as well put it to good usage. If someone was considering one of the focal lengths, this would give them the idea of weight, size and what they could see. If this starts to slowly grow, I plan on offering a mount or 2, as well as expanding into other manufactures. For right now, I am staying with refractors only.
Thanks
Tony

I cant envision any scenario where this would be profitable vs the risk factors involved.

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Monroe GA
Posted 01/11/2017 07:54PM #3
There are places that rent high-end cameras and lenses. Some of these have been around for many years and are obviously surviving. You might have a look at them as a model:
www.borrowlenses.com
www.lensrentals.com

A $13K lens goes for about $500/week and requires either proof of insurance, purchase of insurance, or a deposit. They are careful to protect themselves, and reserve the right to refuse service. Perhaps a scope is more delicate, but probably not by much.
Posted 05/09/2017 04:32PM #4
Anthony Orzechowski said:

Hello everyone
Thanks
Tony

Here's a guy in Santa Clara, CA that I rented from a few years back. Affordable, a good range of scopes to choose from. I rented the 8" Meade LX 90 and had a great time. I was observing at a music festival and did some nice outreach in the early evening and some very nice dark sky work after midnight on two nights. http://www.scopes4rent.com/