Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Things you'd like to see....

Started by scopin, 08/30/2004 04:23AM
Posted 08/30/2004 04:23AM Opening Post
Anyone have ideas we could pass on to manufacturers?

I'd like to see a 2" zoom eyepiece. Say around 30mm-20mm.
Could be used with a barlow for medium magnification.

Bigger field of view and no need to use 1 1/4" adapter with other 2" eyepieces.

John
Posted 08/30/2004 04:59AM #1
I would like to see a Go-to system for a Dob that had everything built into the rocker box with gear driven Alt bearings that would just sit onto the cradle with out having to attach anything to the upper section except maybe the controller or computer. All of this for a price under $1000 and light weight enough to not make the scope a problem to set up and transport.
Floyd

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 08/30/2004 05:17AM #2
How about a TV Nagler 4-8 Zoom?

Matt
Posted 08/30/2004 06:09AM #3
John…

How about GPS controlled, automatic (i.e. motorized) polar alignment? This should be possible for both GEMs and fork/wedge mounted scopes.

Fred
Posted 08/30/2004 06:28AM | Edited 08/30/2004 06:29AM #4
Celestron or Meade GOTO SCT OTA's that detach from their forks, so hoisting a 75lb fork and OTA assy. on top of a tripod could be avoided.

A ~3X 45 degree angle correct view Telrad type device with long eye relief and wide field. A zero power device sometimes just does not work in a star poor area, and a little magnification is needed to bring a few dimmer stars in.

A 2" Power Mate type of device that along with a 2" eyepiece gives a correct view from a newtonian, and does not require any back focus, and has a short stubby barrel.

A Telrad type of device that has some kind of built in readout that gives ALT/AZ or other info through the display as you move the scope. (Like Luke Skywalkers binoculars)

I could go on ..

David Simons

David Simons
Posted 08/30/2004 01:12PM | Edited 08/30/2004 01:12PM #5
A focuser for fast dobs with a Paracorr lens built in to the drawtube. Essentially, the lens assembly of the photo-visual paracorr threaded into the bottom of the drawtube. It would save some weight and in-travel issues compared to putting the paracorr into the focuser. If it was done right, it might even be able to use the 1.15x barlow effect to make the focuser effectively lower profile and allow a smaller secondary to be used.

Jarad
Posted 08/30/2004 02:49PM #6
Slow motion control for the TV Gibraltor Alt-Az. Televue says that the mount doesn't need it, but they're wrong. So this would have to be an "after-market" accessory that someone else markets.
Posted 08/30/2004 03:33PM #7
Manufacturers stating true clear aperture in their specs, not just objective diameters (without reduction by the lens cell or infringement in the light cone by baffles or long drawtubes) in the case of refractors, or actual light-gathering mirror surface area after subtracting the central obstruction in Newts and cats.

Jim
Posted 08/30/2004 04:22PM #8
A HIGH precison laser collimator that beeps when the return beam is dead on center.
Posted 08/30/2004 04:31PM #9
How about a longer nexstar single arm mount mount with GPS for short apo's and maks. A quick relase bracket to switch between my TV85 and IM615 would make a lot of altaz and equatorial mounts obsolete for visual grab and go. Ray