Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Williams optics problem

Started by bobblack, 02/04/2008 09:49PM
Posted 02/04/2008 09:49PM Opening Post
Hello all:- I have a w.o. megrez 80 II achromatic. the problem I'm having is when I put the scope on any angle but horizontal I can't control the focuser.
If I tighten the focuser lock screw, the tube won't move, If I loosen the knob the tube just slides right out to its maximum.There just isn't a sweet spotthat will allow me to control the focuser with the focuser knobs. It is a 1/10 microfocuser.
I'm thinking maybe I have lost a part. Has anyone had this problem???
Thanks, bob
Posted 02/04/2008 10:40PM #1
robert black said:

Hello all:- I have a w.o. megrez 80 II achromatic. the problem I'm having is when I put the scope on any angle but horizontal I can't control the focuser.
If I tighten the focuser lock screw, the tube won't move, If I loosen the knob the tube just slides right out to its maximum.There just isn't a sweet spotthat will allow me to control the focuser with the focuser knobs. It is a 1/10 microfocuser.
I'm thinking maybe I have lost a part. Has anyone had this problem???
Thanks, bob

Normally one leaves the focuser lock loose. WO Scopes, at least my 2, have another adjustment located right over the focuser shaft. There is a knurled nut that holds the two speed in place and under it is a set screw that adjusts the preload on the shaft. That may just need adjustment.

I would just Email WO with your problem, in my experience they are very quick to respond. One time I emailed them Saturday night and Sunday morning I had an answer.

Jon
Posted 02/05/2008 02:25AM #2
Bob,
Check and see if there is a recessed Allen (hex) head screw right behind the focus lock knob. If so, that's probably the tension adjustment. Get an appropriate allen wrench and try turning that screw a quarter turn or so at a time and see if that makes a difference.

Jim