My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

At the high end

Started by NebSteve, 06/08/2009 11:20PM
Posted 06/08/2009 11:20PM | Edited 06/08/2009 11:25PM Opening Post
Howdy,
I've always used what worked best even if it's a fraction of the cost of the popular high end EP's. However, as my EP collection evolved TeleVue became the mainstay.

Here's what I use in the Meade 7" MAK with a 2670mm focal length:

Widest TFOV focal reducer=
Anteres .7 & TeleVue 27mm Panoptic

Widest TFOV native=
Meade 56mm type 4000

Everyday observing=
TeleVue 27mm Panoptic
It's clearly my most useful EP

Modest Magnification (222x)=
TeleVue 12mm Nagler type 2

Heavy Magnification (333x)=
TeleVue 8mm Radian

Once a year Magnification (534x)=
Baader 5mm Orthoscopic

The Baader is used once a year at best, and the 8mm Radian is has been in on rare occasions.

So my real topic thinking out loud is; would a 10mm Ethos be a worthwhile move to replace the 12mm Nagler, 8mm Radian, and 5mm Baader?

I can sell those off to make up for the high cost of the Ethos, but it would have to be truely useful and take their place. For magnification in that scope I think it's practical. I like my little Baader ortho, but it has only really shown what it can do once under an absolutely perfect sky. A little more often with the Radian, and only a few times a week with the Nagler.

Another point is the technology of the 12mm Nagler type 2 has been eclipsed by the type 4 and Ethos, but buy how much?

DEEEEEEP Thoughts!
Thanks,
Steve

Posted 06/08/2009 11:57PM #1
In terms of what is the current best technology, I don't think you can top what the Ethos offers. The optical design and coatings make it unlike any other ep in my cases. I WON'T be selling my 13 anytime soon!
Posted 06/09/2009 11:18AM #2
Steve Hollenbach said:

Another point is the technology of the 12mm Nagler type 2 has been eclipsed by the type 4 and Ethos, but buy how much?

DEEEEEEP Thoughts!
Thanks,
Steve

How much? In technical terms, "a whole lot." LOL

I had zero qualms about selling my 12-mm Type 2. The Ethos features not just a wider AFOV, but more contrast and sharpness.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/