Broadshouldered Hawk

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Baader Hyperion Click-Stop Zoom

Started by Peter Glus, 12/05/2006 08:59AM
Posted 12/05/2006 08:59AM Opening Post
Wow...just saw this. Anyone used it yet...seems like a very nice idea to have a wider FOV with a zoom.
Posted 12/05/2006 09:22AM #1
Peter Glus said:

Wow...just saw this. Anyone used it yet...seems like a very nice idea to have a wider FOV with a zoom.

They just went on sale in the US yesterday, through Alpine Astro, so I don't think anyone who isn't in Germany has used them yet! There's a thread on CN with a link to a google-translated thread from a German astro site.

Bob at Alpine Astro says he's very impressed, and that it's a worthy addition to the Hyperion line, but also counselled me to not trust vendor reviews :-)
Posted 12/06/2006 05:21AM | Edited 12/06/2006 06:09AM #2
Perhaps someone who has used the Hyperion extensions can comment. It is not a stretch of the imagination that it should perform similarly to a Hyperion with some combination of their 14 and 28mm fine tuning rings. My concern would be that there has to be some compromise when extending the range past 17mm-8mm all the way to 24mm. I would be more interested in the shorter range. Gosh, would the fine tuning rings work in this as well? wink

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 12/11/2006 01:50PM #3
One of the SV Yahoo group members recently posted a user review:

http://tinyurl.com/y2phhq

Tom