Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

EP's for beginner

Started by ghacker, 03/24/2006 08:22AM
Posted 03/24/2006 08:22AM Opening Post
Let me start out by saying that after reading these posts, I've discovered that dedicated astronomers are not only apt to get "aperture fever", but "eyepiece ache" as well.

I'm getting a 10",f/4.7 Orion XTi (based in large part on the comments here in the various forums-esp. Floyd's). This is my first scope and I'd like advice for eyepieces.

Don't want to spend big bucks for eyepieces until I know we're in this for the long haul. I can always upgrade down the road. Plus I won't trust my 9 yr old with $300-500 eyepieces. Sooo..what would you experienced guys recommend? Up to $100/pc.

Here's some info. you may want. I'm 53 and no glasses, although I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. My son's 9 and wears glasses . So does mom. Katie's only 4, I think we can forget about her for awhile.

Would like to get a nice spread for planetary and DSO's for a total of 5-6 eyepieces. FYI, I do plan on getting an Orion shorty-plus barlow. May have a moonlite CR1 on the scope.

Posted 03/24/2006 04:11PM #1
I have found that once I get around 150X my preference is for a wide field view beyond what a plossl will provide. The view is much more pleasing to me and it is easier to find and track an object. The Orion Stratus and Baader Hyperion are essentially the same EP but the Stratus is about $40 cheaper at $95 plus shipping. So for a few bucks beyond a plossl you can have a usable wide view EP ~68 degrees. The eye relief is also very good. Of course now the old EP-aholic syndrome is setting in and I just have to have a Nagler down around 6-8mm. But that's what you get for listening to Astromarters.

I Yam What I Yam!