Broadshouldered Hawk

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Orion Q70 Feedback

Started by Peter Glus, 01/12/2007 06:48AM
Posted 01/12/2007 06:48AM Opening Post
Has anyone tried these? Wondering if they are better than the meade 70-degree EPs (which seem to have a particularly bad write-ups).
Posted 01/13/2007 06:06PM #1
Peter, when I saw these in Orion's catalog, they reminded me strangely of a Burgess super-wide 32 mm I owned at one time. I went to "The Other Site", pulled up Mike Hosea's review comparing the Burgess SWA's to the Meade QX's, held the Orion catalog opened to the Q70 page next to the screen, and waddya know! Externally at least, these seem to be the SWA's with the Orion label on them. If they ARE the same design, then you might be interested in Mike's comments on them. My SWA wasn't bad...nice wide field, with decent eye relief, but the outer edge was pretty soft. I eventually traded up to a 35 mm Panoptic, and never looked back. Still, not a bad deal for the price.
Larry Seguin
Taos, New Mexico
Posted 01/13/2007 07:08PM #2
Yes, definitely better at longer focal ratios. My scopes were f/6, and f/4.7, hence the edge softness.
Larry
Posted 01/13/2007 09:23PM #3
There is actually a review of these on the other site. They are the same as the Eclipse and Agena ep's, but not the same as the QX. Don't know about the Burgess. Got a pretty good review though.
Jason